Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Im new to the forum and polaris in general. I just picked up a 2005 polaris sportsman 700 efi. Having a few problems.

1) The shifter is very sloppy. Has about 3/4 an inch of play, and when i look back to where the shift rod goes into the gear box, the bracket that connects them has a lot of play as well. Wondering if this is going to be an expensive fix.

2) i have some left to right play (about 1/8 an inch) in the front and rear drive shafts. Is this normal?

3) it has a 2" lift kit with some 27" mud tires on it. supposidly all new front and rear parts, but in reverse, i hear a slight popping in the back right. and when going forward turning to the left at slow speeds i hear a little popping. Guy i got it from says its because of the lift and they are fine. Just seeing if this is normal or not. I jacked itup, and all axles have no play.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if this is rambling. Just trying to get this straight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 2003 700, don't know how much difference there was in 2 years, but I suspect many of the structural items are the same. Does the machine go into all transmission modes correctly (P, R, N, L, H)? If so, I wouldn't worry about any play in the linkage. THere are parts that you can replace in the linkage, but I wouldn't fix something that isn't broken. When you say the drive shafts have play, are you referring to the actual u-joint or cv-joint, or something else. U-joints should not have any play in them. CV joints do slide as the wheel travels up and down.

Don't know specifically about your lift kit, but that could be stretching the limits of the CV or U-joints. If you have access to a ATV lift, can you make the sound while it's in the air and you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from? I would suspect it's probably coming from the CV joint. Remember that when you get it off the ground you're allowing the suspension to travel all the way down, so you might try getting the machine up in the air, and then put a jack under the lower a-arm of the wheel you think is making the noise, and try it at different levels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! With the drive shafts, i grabbed the actual shaft and it had play. On the rear differential, i can see the joint moving on the differential. Theres a hole in it that maybe a bolt or pin is supposed to go through? Then the other side of the rear drive shaft, the joint doesnt move but whatever it connects to does a little (output shaft i guess)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts