Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a problem getting my AWD to engage in reverse. I have a Polaris Sportsman 600 (2005). When I depress the yellow button the AWD icon lights up but the AWD does not engage. I can only assume it is electrical but not sure. Can anyone help?

·
11,636 Posts
Is the speedo working properly? Sometimes if the Hall sensor is bad it will jump around in R and prevent AWD from working. Also, does the R indicator show it being in R...could be a bad shifter switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speed o has not regestered the bike speed for some time now. Everything else on the digital cluster works. The indicator show the R and the AWD indicator lights up when the button is held in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In addition the round position sensor with the very small wires on the side of the trans m has a small piece missing from the side. I had the two shifting gears replaced due to the shifter flopping like a fish out of water and not engageing the trans m in any gear.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You need to first of all check the hall sensor in the front right wheel. It plugs into the headlight pod. Make sure it is plugged in. 95% of the time no speed is due to this item failing. If it doesn't register the speed it wont go into 4x4.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem. I don't know the exact names of the parts but this discription may help. Fisrt I had a pretty good idea I was about to get in over my head with this problem. So I bit hte bullet and took my bike to a repair shop.
Problem was the roller bearing cage in the front differential had broke. A couple hundred beans in parts and some labor cost will be good to go. If you are wondering this problem was created by neglect in preventive maintenance. This unit should have about 8 oz of oil in it. Mine had about 2oz.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
InRBigness..my sensor is broke..so no MPH or odometer..just hours on speedo....but my AWD works..I seen all 4 wheels spinning as i was trying to push a snow bank back a little..lol..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea the roller bearing cage is only for the reverse AWD. Same with mine had AWD drive going forward. Would not engage in reverse.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
InRBigness..my sensor is broke..so no MPH or odometer..just hours on speedo....but my AWD works..I seen all 4 wheels spinning as i was trying to push a snow bank back a little..lol..
Okay a clarification here. If the speedo is broken then you will not likely have awd as they run the electrical for the front diff through it. I guess it depends on the damage to the speedo but that has always been the case. The speed sensor will likely fix the speedometer so it reads but does not affect the 4wd normally.

The Sprague cage is for AWD forwards and backwards. If yours was broken then it was able to engage one way but not the other. They do break and exhibit the symptoms you have described. It sounds like low on fluid but mostly what breaks them is shock load. Going from forwards to backwards quickly or having front wheels spinning hard and then having them stop suddenly.

Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes InRBigness....if the speedo is shot all together you lose AWD...meaning does not light up..nothing shows...that was a lousy design by polaris.....bu there is a work around for that situation...so if the speedo is dead you splice some wires an the AWD will work by switch again....

once the sprague cage is broke..you have to fix for AWD...replace with the newer billet aluminum one...not the plastic ones..another bad design ...money savers an makers all rolled in one

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Absolutely al53. The cage is plastic but there is a billet one from Polaris but for less money you would be better to get the one from SuperAtv. Although there are some years that they wont fit so you are stuck with the factory one. That being said of 100 "my AWD does not work" I would say that only 3-4 are due to the cage being broken. Much more likely that fluid is bad or they have an electrical issue. In this case it was the cage but people seem to want to throw parts at something instead of resolving the issue. Its like "my car didn't start, do I need a new engine?" :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I agree...95% of the AWD problems is either contaminated fluids or electrical gremlins...I will do my hubs twice a year....its easy to do...preventive is cheaper than replacing...I use the demand plus since my dealer gives to me for 8.95 a quart..only polaris fluid I use....rather chance fluids then change parts...when I got my machine I took the caps off the hubs an flushed them out with brake cleaner..be surprised what gunk is in there...not alot but some...by not cleaning an just filling it will build up an cause failure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts