Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this short and let you guys know all that I do in hopes that I can diagnose this problem and get it fixed.

The problem I have is that unless I start out slow and build up speed, I can't push the throttle lever far, and what ends up happening is that the engine seems to return to idle and I slow down to a stop. Is this supposed to happen? I'm thinking maybe it's a child safety feature, considering this bike was bought for me when I was a little kid and I'm much older now.

This is problematic because there is snow out and so it's not easy to get going unless I can throttle up really high. (which I can't)

I noticed that I am able to throttle all the way up with no problem if i'm not actually ON the quad, so it might have to do with me being 220lb and the bike supporting a little less (I think in the upper 100's). Although that's just my best guess, I want to know what you guys think.

If you guys have any questions about my problem, i'll do my best to answer them with my limited mechanical knowledge. I know it's not the best explanation so let me know if I should be looking for other things going on with the quad when this problem occurs.

Hopefully we can figure out what is causing me to not be able to accelerate if the throttle is pushed too far.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're pretty sure it's just because the engine is too weak?

I'm not actively riding this bike by the way, I'm trying to fix it and get it working well enough to sell.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
jack kit up, put it on jack stands ,securely then see what it does, must be fuel related, dirty carb ect, oh yea I see its a 90 not a 50 , sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing is... My uncle recently bought a brand new carb and installed it. He's a car mechanic and never worked on an ATV before, a few motorcycles though.

Could it be he installed it wrong/improperly? Or maybe something needs to be adjusted to account for a brand new carb?

What should I be looking for when I jack it up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts