Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. My 04 600 is having problems with AWD in reverse. The battery was dead on it, so I put the charger on over night. It fired up great but now I have no AWD in reverse. The funny part is when i put it in reverse, the AWD light comes on on the dash and stays on, even without holding the over-ride button. It appears when I am in low or high that the front wheels have power if I spin the back wheel, but when in reverse, the two back wheels are spinning but not the front wheels. Any ideas??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a similar problem. My bike is currently at the shop. Local guy with small shop. My take a bit longer to get back. But a lot less expensive.
My issue was mechanical, yours may be electrical. If you have 12 volts going from the yellow switch to the front of your differential (The wire on my bike was brown with a grey stripe) then your issue may be mechanical. If you don’t have the tools and equipment to do the job properly. Do as I did and bite the bullet and take it to a shop.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Been doing some reading, can anyone tell me if I broke a roller cage in the front diff would I have any AWD.. And also, the over ride button does not toggle the dash any more either.....a little more info on the matter, It appears I may have fried my insturment cluster, as I hooked my booster cables up backwards.... any tips on what to check would be great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so i grabbed some flow charts out of the rebuild manual, it appears my cluster is fine, the over ride button would not toggle dash because i was in reverse. As far as the flow charts go, it got me into a diagnostics menu, and in there, all of my AWD stuff is fine. It switches on and off, the flow chart says mechanical problem.. Has anyone had the front diff out of theirs? I might try pulling mine to check the roller cage? just wondering how long of a job it is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the more i play with it, the more it seems to be the front diff. now I have no AWD in forward for the most part either. If I rev it up it will bang into AWD otherwise it just spins the back tires. I have checked the coil ohms, the came in at 23ohms, I do have 12 volt power at the wiring harness of the front diff (under the headlight), the diagnostics menu says that my AWD is working. I cannot get it into AWD in reverse still, but the fact that it is gone in forward gears makes me think front diff. Hopefully some here can chime in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would try changing the fluid. Also look for anything that doesn't belong in the oil when you drain it such as pieces of plastic.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would try changing the fluid. Also look for anything that doesn't belong in the oil when you drain it such as pieces of plastic.
If there is pieces of plastic, I would be looking into a new roller cage?? I also dont understand why the AWD lights dont shut off when i put it in reverse....

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can't say for sure but I would imagine the AWD light is wired into the switch so as long as the switch is on the light will be on regardless of whether your AWD is actually working. Again that is purely speculation on my part. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the AWD system will chime in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The only reason I say that is because with my old Jeep the front axle disconnect was broken rendering the 4wd inoperable but the 4wd indicator still came on when I engaged the 4wd lever. Maybe the AWD indicator works the same on the polaris.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You have done most of the work but now you need to change the fluid and flush out with some atf. Check and see what condition the fluid is. If you have plastic then you need a new cage but I would suspect that maybe its a fluid issue. Rebuilding the diff is not hard. It takes longer to get it out than to rebuild it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How big of a job should it be to get the front diff out?? I have the rights side tire off, the hub off, 2 of 3 drive shaft off, all I have to do is pull off my bottom plate for my snow blade and unbolt the diff. Will it come out the right side of the bike like the manual says, or do I have to pull the rad???

·
11,153 Posts
Just pull the fan... 4 bolts and wires if I remem. correctly and the other axle and prop shaft and it will come out the right side. Be careful of the wires on the diff.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
should the left side axle pop without having to tear down that side of the machine?? or do i have to dismantle it too

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update.... pulled the diff out. Had to pull both tires, hubs, A arm, and axles, and disconnect input shaft as well as breather and electrical. also pulled the fan out, (it was just 4 bolt and wires.). The diff came out the right hand side of the bike like the book said. Opened the diff up and sure enough, roller cage was smashed to pieces. Can anyone confirm that the John Deere parts will work in this diff?? Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another FYI, I did order the John Deere Parts and they did fit. I got the Armature Plate, Cage, Rollers and seals for under 200. I have rebuilt the diff, just have to wait for better weather to put in. We got a blizzard yesterday with at least a foot of snow and she is -25 C out today. I will update when she is back together..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I got everything back together, new roller cage, armature plate, seal kit and rollers, put the diff back in, and still no awd in forward or reverse. the light comes on, there is 12v at the plug, the coil checked out at 25 ohms but I still have nothing, can anyone throw me a bone here??? I am open to any ideas...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, not sure why i am posting here as I seem to be responding to myself but here goes anyways....I checked the wires at the diff, 12 volts on both of the wires, where they go into the diff you can see they are frayed. Do I just have to get a better ground down there, or do i need a new output cover??

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Don't loose heart. People only tend to respond when they know the answers. When the diff was out did you test it? If you energized the coil with 12v and turn the input shaft it should turn the two outsides and when you remove the 12v you can feel the difference. The system actually works by completing the ground circuit not supplying power. As I said before you likely have an electrical issue and the frayed wires would be where I would start.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gonna pull it back out and bench test it. I dont think its the frayed wires, though they are a problem. I have the proper ohms testing the diff, not sure where to look. I have power at the diff but no awd kickin in. When you say it is completing the ground circuit, where does it complete it?? would it be in the speedo??

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Okay try this first: disconnect the plug and apply 12v to the diff side of the plug and see if the diff works when back wheels spin. It will eliminate all the other electrical issues upstream. If it doesn't work then there is an issue with either the diff the way it was put together or with the magnet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts