Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some wet and muddy riding and getting stuck twice.....the next day I was riding around the yard with my kids and it felt like my machine was bogging down. I stopped and then the brake handle went totally free when I squeezed it the second time after stopping. I could "pump" the brake handle several times and it would firm up, but then go back to nothing. The brake lines were really hot to touch also. I checked the brake fluid and while I had the cap off I squeezed the brake handle a couple of times. When I put the cap back on, I had brakes and they have worked fine since then. Also while I had no brakes the foot brake was "frozen" and wouldn't move, but that also fixed.......

Anybody have this happen before or any ideas what happend??

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sounds as if you may have packed the caliper full of mud. Once it hardened,it may be causing the pads to drag. Would explain the "bogging down" feeling. The pads dragging will cause brake fade and a great deal of heat. Would explain the brake lines being hot.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I think that taking the cap off the MC and then having the brakes work after was a coincidence. I would guess that either the rear MC was locked up (given it's location down in the dirt) or something was compressing the rear caliper as mentioned. Keep an eye on the rear MC, they take on water and dirt like a sieve.

When I put my ricochets on my 500 the same thing happened because the rear a arm guard would hit the caliper when there was little load on the suspension. Freaked me out when I had to pump the handle the get brakes :yikes: Figured it out, trimmed the aluminum and its been fine ever since.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody for the replies....I'll keep a check on the rear and see what happens next.....hopefully nothing bad.:bam:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same exact thing happen to my atv. It had sat for a long time, and not been used. I took it on a ride and the rear brake started locking up hard. by the time I noticed the brake and stopped it had been too late. Not sure what happened, but my foot brake went from hard as a rock to no pressure at all. I haven't gotten it fixed yet, but I am thinking that the fluid got so hot that it might have melted one of the o rings or something. Still looking for the fix

1 - 6 of 6 Posts