Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 sportsman 500ho. brakes are not working, its like they work but no power brakes. I took the calipers off and pushed the pistons in and pulled the brake handle and foot brake and pushed them in and out several times. but still not working right. Master cylinder? If so were to get one and how much.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Did you open the bleeder screws and try bleeding? If your 01' is like my 12', there is 2 bleeder screws on the rear caliper (one for the hand brake, and one for the rear foot brake), if that valve ruptures inside the caliper and let's fluid pressure between the individual pistons, you will lose your brake pressure. That is what happened on mine and I had to order a new rear caliper, try holding your foot brake with your foot while squeezing your hand lever, if your foot brake pops up when you squeeze the lever you know it's the rear caliper because that valve is bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I havnt tried bleeding yet. rear caliper does have two bleeders. witch one should I start with and what fluid do you use. I just went out and tried holding foot break down and pulling on hand break and foot break doesn't pop up. fluid is full and no leaks that I see. Things were rusty and I cleaned best I could. I didn't pull the two allen screws out that the caliper slides on but did move them in and out.
How do you pull the pads out on the front? do you pull the allen screws out? are those for adjusting the caliper?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I havnt tried bleeding yet. rear caliper does have two bleeders. witch one should I start with and what fluid do you use. I just went out and tried holding foot break down and pulling on hand break and foot break doesn't pop up. fluid is full and no leaks that I see. Things were rusty and I cleaned best I could. I didn't pull the two allen screws out that the caliper slides on but did move them in and out.
How do you pull the pads out on the front? do you pull the allen screws out? are those for adjusting the caliper?
You'll have to look it up I can't remember it's been a while since I bled mine, I can't recall which each screw goes to. You can also follow the brake lines to see which reservoir they go to. Use DOT 4, they tell you what fluid to use right on the cap. If you're foot pedal doesn't pop up when you squeeze the lever it sounds like a master cylinder then. But go with the most cost effective repair first and try bleeding it and see what happens. Here is a video on how to do your brake pads. The caliper isn't adjustable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very helpful video. That's how I thought it worked. I just need to try bleeding next. Do you know if the mc is rebuildable? or where to buy one.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Very helpful video. That's how I thought it worked. I just need to try bleeding next. Do you know if the mc is rebuildable? or where to buy one.
I don't think you can re-build them, you can probably find a reasonably priced one on ebay perhaps, you'll just have to look around. There are also people always selling things on here maybe you could find someone who is parting out a machine, master cylinders are a very generic part so I'm pretty sure any master cylinder from a sportsman will work.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't think you can re-build them, you can probably find a reasonably priced one on ebay perhaps, you'll just have to look around. There are also people always selling things on here maybe you could find someone who is parting out a machine, master cylinders are a very generic part so I'm pretty sure any master cylinder from a sportsman will work.
You can rebuild them. Here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-06-Polaris-Sportsman-Hand-Brake-Front-Master-Cylinder-Seal-Rebuild-Kit-127-/271045059092

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd be weary of that ebay part. Seller has bad feedback and not an oem part.

I'm all for modifications to your machine but I'm a big believer in using oem parts for cetsin things. Gaskets and seals is one of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts