Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new as I have been researching a problem with my 2007 Sportsman 500efi x2. I couldn't find another post covering similar symptoms so I hope someone can help me out.

I went to move my atv the other day and when I turned the key to start it, it made this strange "clicking" noise that sounded like it was coming from somewhere under the fuel tank. The battery is original so I checked and charged it and got the same clicking noise. After reading through the posts here I thought that maybe it was the solenoid. I checked that last night and the clicking noise is coming from something other than the solenoid. I tried starting it by jumping the solenoid terminals and the engine cranks fine, but did not start.

Also, when I turn the key on, the speedo control panel does not come on. The speedo needle will move slightly, but no other lights come on. When I change the switch from AWD to Turf the clicking noise under the tank changes slightly, but nothing else happens. The headlight also will not come on.

I am stumped and would appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

Thank you,
Rich

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
what is the voltage of your battery. It sounds like you have a dead cell and it is not putting out the full 12v.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Take the battery to an auto parts store and get it load tested.

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will get the battery tested. I did try jumping the solenoid and the battery had juice to turn the motor over.

I appreciate your replies.

Rich

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well...the next step will probably be a PDM...which isn't cheap. If I am looking at Babbit's correctly, part number is 4011657 and it costs close to $200.

Been in water recently? Pressure washed recently? You can take the back cover off it and see if there is moisture inside. If there is, it is probably the cause. Mine had lots of corrosion on my 2006 X2. Problem presented itself as a no charge voltage to the battery on mine.

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up:

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up replacing the CDM as Sean suggested (part #4011657) and the battery. My '07 still had the original battery. Problem solved!

Good luck,
Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
a dead polaris

my 2007 has a 4011517 pdm or control module. It's $350 on partpitstop.com site. The dealer (stealer) wants 500 that's american folks. Guess I have to cough up a $100 so the dealer can diagnose it. Everythng is dead. Battery was reading 13 volts but took it in to napa, they said it was fine. any ideas? my next quad will be a yamaha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
dead polaris diagnosed

we took the 500 efi to a dealer at pinehurst. It was the pdm(control Module). This is something that could be avoided. yamaha does not put this on their machines. toyota should get on board, they would put them all out of business . They want over $400 for a made in china casting. I won't be buying another polaris. Anybody own an arctic cat? How do they hold up?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts