Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after taking the ft plastics andgas tank off to get the valve cover off my 03 700 I discovered that the rt side ex valve ain't even moving a bit! This don't look good :damnit:
Any guesses on what I'll find out tomorrow when I tear it down

·
Registered
900 Posts
How about a worn cam shaft lobe?? :)

How many miles on your rig?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinkin ....not sure the pod said something like 240 hrs 1200 miles when I got it but not sure if that was accurate. It messed up on me not long after I got it and had to unplug it. I've had it 2 years but probably ain't put 20 hours on it

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonder if I should pull the motor out the frame to take tear it down the rest of the way or just fix it in the frame ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the point now were I'm trying to figure if I need to pull the motor or if I can replace the can with it still in frame? Anyone know if I can remove it in frame or half to seperate the crank case?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can leave the engine in and do it all. Will need to pull head and side cover to access everything. You can usually fish lifters out with a magnet and not have to pull cylinder off. Either a worn out cam or a collapsed lifter is my guess.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can leave the engine in and do it all. Will need to pull head and side cover to access everything. You can usually fish lifters out with a magnet and not have to pull cylinder off. Either a worn out cam or a collapsed lifter is my guess.
Thanks for the reply Ridinagain I was hoping I didn't half to. Taking the top end off now

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Collapsed lifter and cam lobe wore down... now were is the best place to get a cam kit??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Your facing exact thing i am about too. I found a fella who has a 98 that is being parted and has a practically brand new cam and exhaust rocker. Getting it for 100 bucks.

I got plastic and tank off as well and just need to get a gasket kit. Going to print out owners manual steps. I can send you a copy if you need one. Let me know. Just like mentioned here, should be able to pull Cam do the valve assembly and timing while still in frame.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your facing exact thing i am about too. I found a fella who has a 98 that is being parted and has a practically brand new cam and exhaust rocker. Getting it for 100 bucks.

I got plastic and tank off as well and just need to get a gasket kit. Going to print out owners manual steps. I can send you a copy if you need one. Let me know. Just like mentioned here, should be able to pull Cam do the valve assembly and timing while still in frame.
Yeah I pulled mine out Sunday.ordered new cam and lifters this eve. Got cam off eBay and lifters off another web site. Cost me about $190 . I'm just going to slap it back together andput it up for sale. Think I'm going to get a 570

1 - 11 of 11 Posts