Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a 2006 hawkeye 300 for almost nothing the other night, but heres the catch, the p.o. claims the prop shaft got bent, so they pulled it, then realized that wouldnt allow the front to spin, so they pulled the front cv joints, and drove it like that,

now thats the story, so i have the good cv joints, but no prop shaft and this is what the atv looks like

any help will be appreciated, im curious if a sportsman prop shaft will fit in this?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
pretty sure wheels will spin with or without the propshaft. Sounds like there is an issue in the front diff. Either way its worth fixing it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pretty sure wheels will spin with or without the propshaft. Sounds like there is an issue in the front diff. Either way its worth fixing it.
thats what i thought as well, i just picked up a new prop shaft on ebay, as soon as it gets here, il slap the cv joints and the shaft in and see where im at:motz:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What does a person do with an ATV that would bend a propshaft?

Sean

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does a person do with an ATV that would bend a propshaft?

Sean
finally just got to see the prop shaft.. it wasnt bent, it twisted off by the diff, soo my theory is the diff locked up while driving it, hence why they pulled the cv joints out as well,

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If that is the only problem, sounds like a deal still. Even if you had to buy a new diff, you would only be into the quad for about a grand.

The 2006 Hawkeye had a problem with the rear subframe. The front brackets where the rear A-arms mount are weak and crack/break if it has been jumped at all. Give the subframe a good look/see. The fix is to install the subframe for the 2007 Hawkeye. If the subframe has been replaced already, the front brackets will be two layers of metal. If it is the original, they will be a single layer of metal. Its not too hard to replace if it is cracked or broken already. Part for the 2007 was about $185, and it takes me about 3 hours to change (I have one in the garage now that I am finishing up with).

Here is a pic of the broken frame (missing the bracket) next to the replacement to give you a better idea of what I am talking about.

Sean

·
Registered
434 Posts
hope they wernt going downhill when the front diff piled upp

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hope they wernt going downhill when the front diff piled upp
well i got the diff out tonight, and it looks like its not split, the prop shaft side wont spin, but it free spins on the cv joint sides, the plug has a wire broken on it, hoping its rebuildable, but the thing has 10k miles/ over 700 hrs, so who knows lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i figured yall would love to see this, opened the diff up, and found this lol

:fest06:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yeah I am pretty sure that might be where your problem lies. :) "Fluid, nahhh, we don't need no stupid fluid"

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Makes a person wonder about how well the maintenance was kept up on the rest of the quad.

That might cost more to rebuild than just buying a used one.

Sean

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
True but what value do you put on the fun you have fixing them and the knowledge you get by doing it. As long as it runs he is still going to be way ahead of the game in my books.

This of course comes from a guy with two new quads and looks for friends to break theirs so he can work on them. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True but what value do you put on the fun you have fixing them and the knowledge you get by doing it. As long as it runs he is still going to be way ahead of the game in my books.

This of course comes from a guy with two new quads and looks for friends to break theirs so he can work on them. :)
so far ive gotten parts nearly half price for it, new polaris prop shaft-80 bucks, new pure polaris belt-35 bucks,
things like that, it runs like a champ, and for what little i have in it, its worth dropping 5-700 into it to get it back on track, and as a mechanic its always fun doing something different:veryhappy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts