Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stumped on this one. Ran the ATV a few weeks ago, came back today to run it and it wouldn't start. I sprayed some starting fluid in the air intake and it fired up long enough to burn off the ether, so I'm getting a spark. I pulled the carb apart and everything is clean and moves. I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel because the line in to the carb will get fuel in it after I drain it to check. But when I try to start it without starting fluid I get nothing. No sputtering or any signs/sounds of combustion.
2004 Sportsman 400. Any thoughts about what to try next?

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
It seems that you are getting fuel to the carb but not into it. Take a look at the needle valve. Either the valve is stuck closed, something has plugged the passage or the float is stuck. You can check to see if it is getting fuel into the carb by opening the drain at the bottom of the bowl. If nothing comes out, pull the carb. If you do get a good amount to drain out, then the carb isn't working right. Plugged jet or something. Low compression can cause this problem too. Ether is more volatile than fuel and it will run on that but not gas. Seems odd, but check your compression and be ready to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Leave the fuel line off the carb and start the engine on ether to verify the fuel pump is pumping - it should pulse fuel fast enough to fill a small baby food jar in 5 to 10 seconds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Leave the fuel line off the carb and start the engine on ether to verify the fuel pump is pumping - it should pulse fuel fast enough to fill a small baby food jar in 5 to 10 seconds
Definitely this first before messing or changing anything else. I recently got a 2000 500 and it was not getting any fuel. Turned out to be the pump since I was getting gas from the tank in the hose but nothing to the carb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts