Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Polaris Sportsman 800. The thing runs great until i get it in any substantial water, then it runs like crap until it dries out then it runs fine again. I have a couple guys i ride with that have experienced the same problem with the same model Sportsman. was wondering if anyone else has had this prob and what the fix was. Only possible prob i have heard was cracked plug wires but i had those checked and thats not the problem. any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you check the belt housing seal? I had water get in there one time and the quad would not get any speed going for awhile til the belt dried out.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Did you check the belt housing seal? I had water get in there one time and the quad would not get any speed going for awhile til the belt dried out.
that where i would start too . . .often times when people dont know what they are doing and they pull the clutch covers off, they dont make sure that rubber seal sits right again when they put it back on, thus letting water in the clutch housing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem. I recently swapped my old worn out clutch for a new polaris 800 EBS clutch and the cover doesn't seem to want to seal proper, because the rubber is old and worn out. The belt is also slipping like crazy when I go through any water at all. Is there any extra way to seal the cover to the clutch and belt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
seal

You might laugh but I went down to the hardware store and bought the round vinyl white door seal (costs $4.00). I removed the vinyl and the core is a soft 5/16 foam round. I placed in instead of the polaris seal and where it joins (top of case)and used a dab of silicone. This was on my 2005-800 and it works great. No water comes in at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts