Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 03 Polaris predator 500 and I went to go turn the key and nothing happen. No light, no neutral light or anything. I changed the battery with a brand new one and nothing is still working. I checked the 12v breakers or whatever the little things in the black bags are and both sides of them have voltage. Really confused on whats going on any info would help.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Start checking wiring - power goes from the battery to the key switch via the red wire - when the switch is on power goes from the red wire to the red/black wire - the red black wire goes to the #1 plug on the handlebar switch - when the switch is on, the red/white wire is hot on the #2 plug of the handlebar switch - the red/white wire goes to a splice at the accessory plug and split into two other leads - one goes back to the #1 plug on the handlebar switch for the start button (when the start button is pressed, the white/red wire is hot and goes to the starter solenoid) - from the accessory plug to another splice where it splits into two more leads - one goes to the front brake light switch where it again splits - goes to the neutral and temp lights - the other wire goes to the tail light, splits and goes to the rear brake light switch, splits and goes to the CDI unit

I'll bet the plug at the LH handlebar switch that has the red/black wire has a poor contact and is the cause of the loss of all power

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Start checking wiring - power goes from the battery to the key switch via the red wire - when the switch is on power goes from the red wire to the red/black wire - the red black wire goes to the #1 plug on the handlebar switch - when the switch is on, the red/white wire is hot on the #2 plug of the handlebar switch - the red/white wire goes to a splice at the accessory plug and split into two other leads - one goes back to the #1 plug on the handlebar switch for the start button (when
the start button is pressed, the white/red wire is hot and goes to the starter solenoid) - from the accessory plug to another splice where it splits into two more leads - one goes to the front brake light switch where it again splits - goes to the neutral and temp lights - the other wire goes to the tail light, splits and goes to the rear brake light switch, splits and goes to the CDI unit

I'll bet the plug at the LH handlebar switch that has the red/black wire has a poor contact and is the cause of the loss of all power
So I took off the first plug and tested all the little connections and the one with the white wire only has 0.1v.I traced it all the way back to the starter solenoid and the side that the wire is on the solenoid won’t even go above 1.0v.Could a bad solenoid cause no power till the full machine ?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Neither plug has a white wire - both plugs have a red wire with a white stripe and one plug has a white wire with a red stripe.

The white wire with the red stripe will have no voltage on the wire, but if you put 12v+ on that wire, the solenoid will close and the engine will crank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im getting zero power to the handle bar controls on 2 different wiring harnesses changed the circuit breakers and still nothing all grounds are tight could it just be a bad control switch

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
One step at a time - is there power on the red wire going to the key switch? If no, you have a bad battery, connection or circuit breaker - if yes, is there power on the red/black wire at the LH handlebar control? If no, you have a bad connection at the key switch, a bad key switch or a broken wire between the key switch and the LH handlebar control? If yes, is there power on the red/white wire out of the handlebar switch? If yes, then check for power on the red/wht wire at the accessory plug and all the other red white wires you can find (not the white/red wire) most likely the red/wht wire is broken between the switch and one of the splices where the red/white wire branches off to other components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts