Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my 25 hour oil breakin and I cant find the slit in the oil tank vent line that the owners and service manual states that it leads to the airbox???.
I removed the oil screen fitting line so I could check the screen like the manuals say but I could'nt budge the fitting so I put the line backon and want to prime oil.
Im getting frustrated with this nonsense.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The slit is 4 inches from where it goes on the tank, but it is on top of the line.
Crank the wheel sharp to the left, and reach up in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 2012 500 shop repair manual diagram shows 2 oil lines and 1 vent line coming off the oil tank.
It shows the vent line coming out the top on the same side as the oil screen fitting line,( right side of the tank)the smaller oil line coming off the top rear of the oil tank.
On my machine I only have the two lines coming from the oil tank and the smaller line doe not have a slit anywhere.No line coming out the top side of oil tank as the 2012 repair manual states.
I put two quarts of oil in the tank and checked it three times,oil level is just at the bottom line on the dipstick and I could feel the smaller oil line pulsating when i ran the engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The slit is there, just squeeze the line as you run your fingers along the top of it.
Will,
Polaris is playing hide and seek again but good riddens,I found it thanks to you.
They concealed it so well that I used my left hand to locate the pipe fitting and slit in tube and used my righthand to clamp vise grips on the tube in between.
I tried this twice and i still dont know if the pump is primed.
Why would the oil level be at the bottom line of the dipstick after addind 2 qts.

Thanks,Russ
PS Good thing I refrained from clamping the smaller oil line to the pump like some other victims did.:bam:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hatzie,
It must have primed itself because before I started the motor, the dipstick read high then it went down to the bottom line on the dipstick after startup and it has'nt moved since.Once I finally found the vent line and did the priming procedure 3 times without ever hearing any puff of air the oil level has'nt changed.
Should'nt two quarts bring the oil level higher on the dipstick??

Thanks,Russ

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Hatzie,
It must have primed itself because before I started the motor, the dipstick read high then it went down to the bottom line on the dipstick after startup and it has'nt moved since.Once I finally found the vent line and did the priming procedure 3 times without ever hearing any puff of air the oil level has'nt changed.

Thanks,Russ
Run it for 30 seconds, shut it off and recheck it. Should read normal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hatzie,

Thanks,Russ
Run it for 30 seconds, shut it off and recheck it. Should read normal.
Will,
I just did that 5 minutes ago, still at bottom line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Primed or not?

It probably is primed, tell ya in a minute how to know. You're probably fine without 'cleaning' metal screen, mine was perfectly clean at 50 hrs. To 'hear' the "rush" of air, did you turn engine off then remove clamp? Its not much of a noise, more like a "pfft", somewhat faint really, can only be heard with engine off. To know for certain if oil is primed and pumping, with engine running, just for 1 second pinch that same upper hose again in same spot, you'll instantly see it begin to bulge between clamp and tank. REMOVE instantly. I'm thinking I'll do 50 hr oil/filter changes and "clean" the metal screen every 250. I really think the rather strong magnetic oil plug would catch everything the oil filter did not. Thoughts on this anyone? :hmmm:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What filter did you use?
I used the filter that came with the polaris oil change kit thats the identical size of factory one that came off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It probably is primed, tell ya in a minute how to know. You're probably fine without 'cleaning' metal screen, mine was perfectly clean at 50 hrs. To 'hear' the "rush" of air, did you turn engine off then remove clamp? Its not much of a noise, more like a "pfft", somewhat faint really, can only be heard with engine off. To know for certain if oil is primed and pumping, with engine running, just for 1 second pinch that same upper hose again in same spot, you'll instantly see it begin to bulge between clamp and tank. REMOVE instantly. I'm thinking I'll do 50 hr oil/filter changes and "clean" the metal screen every 250. I really think the rather strong magnetic oil plug would catch everything the oil filter did not. Thoughts on this anyone? :hmmm:
Yes I turned off engine and still did'nt hear anything and I have good hearing.I will try what you mentioned to try tomorrow.

Thanks,Russ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts