Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
Have a no spark, but cranks over issue with a 2012 400 Sportsman w/starter and no pull start. Carb non EFI. Polaris service manual is really no big help.
What has been done so far:
1) Test plug against the body of the engine and no spark. Replaced plug no change.
2) Unplugged the black wire from CDI box, No change.
3) Check the ohms on everything I could and everything checked with in the spec. Except CDI because no real test fo it.
4) Check the throttle gap and it was open and good.
5) Checked the stator and starter housing and all is clear and good.
6) No I'm stumped I really think it's the CDI, but not sure about blowing 165 bucks on a crap shoot.
Any help would be great thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found out why no spark on the 400 sportsman 2012

:shocked1:
After thinking I was going crazy from troubleshooting. I found the reason. There is a fuse in the spark plug boot assy and it was blown. This is a nice safety measure to keep the coil from getting fried, but there is no info on it. Thank to Polaris, not! This is a way to force you to take it to the dealer to get fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting this up for all to see. Never heard about a fuse hidden in the boot before but there's a first time for everything!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I know this really blew are my minds. I hope everyone get to know this before running to the dealer or replacing other stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
:shocked1:
After thinking I was going crazy from troubleshooting. I found the reason. There is a fuse in the spark plug boot assy and it was blown. This is a nice safety measure to keep the coil from getting fried, but there is no info on it. Thank to Polaris, not! This is a way to force you to take it to the dealer to get fixed.

How did you get that fuse out? I have no spark and hoping this is my issue!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts