Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2004 Sportsman 500 HO, and was out plowing snow yesterday. It started and ran perfectly. All in a sudden, my machine just shut off. I tried starting it with no success. It just cranked.
I went to check the plug and noticed the wire just slipped off the top of the cap. I cut off a 1/4 inch off the wire and screwed it back on. Still no start. Pulled the plug and checked for spark and didn’t see or hear a spark.
I’m totally lost. Any ideas what may have happened. Sorry for the long explanation. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
It's possible when the plug wire came off it 'spiked' the CDI and it needs to be replaced, but it needs to be tested before throwing parts at it.

First test the kill switches (the spark is extinguished by connecting the CDI to ground) - find the CDI unit and unplug the black wire and look for spark - if none, either the CDI unit, the stator, the flywheel key or the coil needs to be replaced - if you have spark with the black wire unplugged, then find where black wire is connected to ground (ground is the brown wire) - possible connections to ground other than a short is the throttle safety switch, key switch, handlebar stop switch and the reverse limiter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply late bird. I know this is a dumb question, but is the CDI under the front cover, and is what’s connected to the other end of the plug wire? I’m horrible when it comes to electronics. Thanks, John

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Yes, the CDI is under the front plastics and the other end of the spark plug wire is the coil - probably under the front plastics also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A quick update. I pulled the front cover and nothing looked out of place. No loose wires etc. I tried to trouble shoot it the best I can but electronics is not my strong point, so had to take it in reluctantly! I enjoy working on my own stuff. Can anyone tell me if a PDF maintenance manuals are available for a 2004 sportsman 500 HO? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I have a copy of the Polaris factory manual for the 04 400-500 in PDF - message me your email address (with a note of the manual you want) and I'll email it to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts