Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starter was locked up. removed it and installed a new one. Now starter just spins but does not turn the engine over. What should I look for? 2005 500 H.O.
Troy

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Did you change out the bendix too? Sounds like it is bad...

Sean

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It came with the new starter. I took the starter back off and inspected it and the teeth on the gear it turns in the trans. both good. It acts like an old chevy with a bad solenoid. Just spins.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
compare the bendix's see if both the same...if one is shorter it may not be engaging flywheel..If same...remove bendix from starter shaft chek for burrs...if all is good add a drop or 2 of some 3-1 oil in the shaft...dont go crazy..just a little to coat the shaft...see if that helps any....with the flywheel cover off try to start an watch bendix operation to see if it engages or if extending...also make sure the spiral grooves on starter shaft are no burred or peenp any where .....

·
12,342 Posts
It came with the new starter. I took the starter back off and inspected it and the teeth on the gear it turns in the trans. both good. It acts like an old chevy with a bad solenoid. Just spins.
I think your confusing bendix vs. solenoid. A bad solenoid will usually just click or do nothing at all. It's just a magnetic switch and either works or don't. The starter gear or what some call a bendix kicks into the flywheel and can work intermittently. If it gets sticky or the spring is weak the starter will spin without engaging the flywheel. That is what is wrong with your machine. So far as I know, there is no way to remove the cover and watch it work since the end of its shaft has to be in the flywheel cover in order for it to operate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think about that but your right. The small gear in the cover that the starter drive turns spins freely. I turned it with my finger looking at the teeth as I would a flywheel looking for damage. Now that I think about it more...should that gear spin freely?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
you can remove the pull start cover and see if it is going in and out. Its best to pull it out, clean it and make sure it works properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok everyone....I fell really stupid. I was assuming the gear on the starter was the bendix. After pulling off the pull start cover I found the actual bendix. And of course it was the problem. Thanks for everyones help and advise. It is fixed.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

Sean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts