Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one hot lady right now and I mean mad as hell! I admit I haven't taken my Polaris sportsman 450 in for service since I bought it December 2015, but in my defense they delivered it and never told me a thing about it other than how to start it and make it go front and back. Lately I have noticed a sound from the rear end. It shifts just fine no metal was found in the rear end oil or the motor oil yet I was told by the service guy I needed a new transmission. BLOODY HELL! Well rather than believe the service guy who kept trying to sell me a new quad I called a dealer in a other city far away from me. I asked if they could get me a new transmission. What the cost would be. How much time it would take to install a new transmission. I was quoted 2200.00 for a new transmission. 9 hours to install it.

What ticks me off is I felt because I am a woman rather than a guy the service guy saw me as a sucker. He said don't buy another Polaris buy a Can Am. After I got the Polaris back I noticed a noise in the front that I had never had before. I was in the snow and had to push it yo get through the snow which was maybe 8 inches deep. So yes I am ticked off. Do I think he did something to it so I would be forced to buy another unit, yes! I suspect he did. Now, where do I go from here. I am so upset. This Polaris is what keeps this ranch going. He said it wouldn't be worth fixing it and was pushing me to buy a new unit. My feeling is I would still be better off to sock some money into it rather than pay $7k plus I to buy another unit. I am by no means rich. I feel in this economy financing anything is a bad choice. Plus I already own this. So can someone in layman's terms tell me what to look for? Unfortunately, I haven't found any real good trouble shooting videos and when looking at my owners manual what to look for and at this point I am fearful to run it because I don't want to do any damage to it. This was my very first atv. Oh he said I needed a oil change every 25 miles. He charges 250.00 for a oil change. That's more than I pay for 3 horses feed a month. He isn't looking for a job buy a rich person to keep him employed with $1000. A month or more. As it is the machine only has 325 hours on it over a 5 yr period. hours. It's never taken off road on rough terrains. It's always used on my 20 acres for ranch work. I asked him how you change the oil so I could do it myself and he wouldn't show or tell me. I asked how to check the oil and he couldn't show me. Where to check the transmission level he didn't snow me.

·
11,998 Posts
Here's a link to a service manual for a 570. Same basic machine as far as servicing your 450.
Get all 4 of the wheels off the ground and run it to see where the nose you hear is coming from. May be nothing more than a dry wheel bearing, axle boot or brake dragging. Probably nothing serious or expensive from your description.
OOPs forgot the link:

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
991 Posts
You definitely need to find a more reputable service provider. You don’t need to go to a dealership for service. There are honest repair shops around, you just need to find one and don’t ever go back to that place that wouldn’t show you how to check the oil.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If you can run a ranch, you can work on an ATV. Along with the manual you just got, there are lots of videos on YouTube for basic maintenance items on your specific machine, and you should definitely start taking care of it before it’s too late. Start by doing the maintenance items you see in that manual, and search for YouTube videos on each procedure if you have any issues figuring it out from just the manual. As you’re performing those maintenance items, you’ll likely figure out what’s wrong (if anything). I can’t imagine a professional service operation treating a customer like that, but if they did, definitely find someone else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts