Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to the forum and bought a Sportsman 800 about 2 weeks ago with 56 hours. Everything is running good without any problems except...when i release the gas, there is a funny noise comming from the bottom. It feels like there are "play" in the drive shafts or something... any ideas??

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board! When I read the title I thought it was about noisey farts!:scratchchin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the exact same problem and am seeing a pattern in these threads. I just got back from the dealer and it seems that mine is in the transmission. They are going to contact Polaris and see what to do. With the bike on a lift, they grabbed the drive shaft and torqued it and could hear the noise like play in the gears in the transmission. The front drive shaft did the same. They did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about a fix for it but think they weren't too experienced with these problems. If anyone else has some ideas about this, we are all ears. I see from my search there are a few of us with the same problem. Does your problem happen when the engine brake releases and it starts to free wheel? Please respond. I am going to the mountains with this monday and hope to hear back from the dealer by then and will keep you up to date on what i find. I plan on holding Polaris' hand to the fire in trying to get a fix as it seems this is more than an occasional problem.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I sometimes have this same problem with releasing gas and there is a sound near the bottom. Its called a flatulent or more commonly known as a fart. Unfortuanately its not covered under warranty, but can be reduced with the proper diet...

Sorry guys i just could not help it, this was a perfect setup. I hope you enjoyed a laugh and hope that the problem gets a swift fix.

·
11,130 Posts
You guys don't say what year model you have. I bought an 06 back in November with around 120 miles and was at first concerned about clickity clack noise on deceleration or on off throttle situations. I put it on here and other forums, checked/changed trans etc....I now have about 1900 (hard) miles in all types of terrain and no probs. I've concluded this sound is just the nature of the beast and comes from the internal chain that drives the trans. I don't even pay any attention to it anymore.
Oh yeah...I did have a roll pin back out of rear output shaft yoke (not uncommon problem apparently) 5 mins. to replace and no other issues since.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is a 2010 model 800 efi with 3 hours on it. It has made this noise since i started riding it 3 hours ago. Not too happy this is a brand new ATV with an obvious problem that there doesn't seem to be an answer for. I will wait til i hear back from the dealer but i doubt there will be a satisfactory answer or fix. Have heard a lot of "nature of the beast" comments but for me, thats not cutting it. There is a clear metal on metal sound out of what appears to be the tranny. All my experience tells me, thats not good. Going to call another dealer with a more experienced mechanic on board and see if i get the same response. Gonna try and hunt with this model monday. Wish me luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
From reading other forums this is a common complaint.MY 08 800 DOES IT IS HAS 80 MILES 10 HOURS. They say it is in the transmission the chain in the trans has too much slack and is hitting the drain plug causing this noise. They had posted pics of the drain plug worn away on one side..try this link..

clunking noise Sportsman 800 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

hope this helps and fixes the concern I am waiting to put a few more miles on mine before i change all my fluids then I plan on adding a washer to lower the plug,or buy a second plug an dremel it down to be flush with the case..:unitedstates:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for that NOP. I mentioned that to the mechanic but he didn't have a clue really. It makes a little sense but when they had it on the lift and torqued the drive shaft(s) you cold hear it clank in the gear lash. Hope your filed down plug has threads enough to hang on. I would think Polaris might step up to the plate and offer an explaination. Haven't heard back from the shop yet as they were going to query polaris for some info. Will post it when i get it. Thanks again

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any news or fixes for this issue yet? It sounds terrible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have same thing on my 010 800 sportsman. took it the stealership,claims they all do it because of built-in slack.did not like reply but i guess it will always be there.heard same old b.s. as everyone else. they told me to just drive it. i bought 5 year warranty so i guess it's on them,so off to the hills i go!p.s. i also have tow-in insurance!!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Has anyone checked the u joints for slack?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another noobie here... I just bought a 2000 500 and I've got some kind of a noise when I release the gas but it doesn't sound like it is coming from underneath. It's more like a backfire and a loud one. I talked to a guy at the local powersports dealership and he said that it is the EBS. To me it sounds horrible and if that is the issue, I don't know how Polaris sold these things. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
800 sportsman clanking in drivetrain

just a note to blueline15,i see you reply to a lot of other posts but i havent seen one about the clanking and popping noise in the 800s.i thought maybe you would have a clue.if you have maybe i did not see it.i apologize if you did. not trying to take ashot at you.thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Think we may have a cure!

My dealer has told me the noise is the slack in the drive train. They all do it they claim. They did however order me the Engine Braking System (EBS) clutch kit and think that this will keep tension on the belt during decent until the RPM is low enough and keep the slack out of the drive train. EBS is NOT standard on these machines, you have to order it as an option. They got it for me free of charge. I hope it helps this aweful clanking sound. What do you all think? My buddy has the 800 X2 with the EBS and he doesn't notice any clanking. Will see if it works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a Cure. Read my post in this forum.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
just a note to blueline15,i see you reply to a lot of other posts but i havent seen one about the clanking and popping noise in the 800s.i thought maybe you would have a clue.if you have maybe i did not see it.i apologize if you did. not trying to take ashot at you.thanks.
I dont have much for you on this one other then what has been said for two reasons. One, is noise is one of the hardest things to try to diagnose over the internet, and two, these machines operate on completely different platforms then a car do, so a lot of the times noises might sound awful, but normal. They are not quite like a car is....

My best example is a dry clutch on a ducati motorcycle if anyone has heard that. They dry clutch can best be described as a bunch of pennies rolling around in a tin coffee can. It sounds awful, but is totally normal to the design of the machine. A lot of people complain about the noise, but it just is the way it is.

Other then as long as CV shafts are tight and there is not slop in u-joints, bushings, ect, everything else should be normal sounds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont have much for you on this one other then what has been said for two reasons. One, is noise is one of the hardest things to try to diagnose over the internet, and two, these machines operate on completely different platforms then a car do, so a lot of the times noises might sound awful, but normal. They are not quite like a car is....

My best example is a dry clutch on a ducati motorcycle if anyone has heard that. They dry clutch can best be described as a bunch of pennies rolling around in a tin coffee can. It sounds awful, but is totally normal to the design of the machine. A lot of people complain about the noise, but it just is the way it is.

Other then as long as CV shafts are tight and there is not slop in u-joints, bushings, ect, everything else should be normal sounds.
It is slack in the drivetrain. There is a cure. Read my post that expalins it all. My noise is all gone. I had the rattle and clanking sound terribly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yep, all you got to do is install the EBS clutch. It keeps a load on the drivetrain, all gone. It was horrible too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts