Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 550EPS Touring
I've never mucked about with the automatic descent control (ADC) however last night I switched it on just to see what it would do. What it did was was make a terrible clacking/grinding noise while trying to apply the brakes somehow.
I've got the shop manual so I read up on it but there isn't any trouble shooting info in there. Perhaps it's supposed to sound like jagged ball bearings however I suspect not.
It seems to be working as far as I can tell; comes on below 15 km/hr etc.
Any thoughts? I did a search for ADC & automatic descent control but didn't find any matches.I even tried misspelling the word descent without any luck.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Morning!

The ADC is a known problem with contaminated fluid. You see, the clutch debris quickly contaminate the fluid. The fix is to fluch with fresh fluid, do some figure "8"s to circulate it. Then drain and repeat. This may take a couple times. There is not allot of fluid in there and you will need the proper fluid from the dealer. I sounds allot worse then whats usually going on inside.

The long term fix is to regularly change out the fluid before it gets too contaminated. Say every engine oil change.

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
:dito: :dito: :dito:

What CW said. Read a post every couple of weeks about this same problem and changing out the fluid almost always seems to do the trick.

Note to moderators, the search feature on this forum is lousy :disappointed:

I usually end up doing a google search of the site with much better results.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Very Much

I'll try that and report back with the results. Won't be for a few days however as the dealership is only open till noon and I have errands to run in the other direction. Hope you fellows are right that it sounds far worse than it is because it sounds fairly terminal.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
I'll try that and report back with the results. Hope you fellows are right that it sounds far worse than it is because it sounds fairly terminal.

Cheers,
Thought the same with my 500. I was sure a new front end was going to be going in. Two fluid changes and it is like new again.
Keep us posted with how it goes. Like said above, run it a bit between fluid changes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried Flushing

I flushed the ADC out this evening and drove the bike around the yard a bit and it improved substantially. I'll do another flush after this weekend

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
Good to hear. (or not hear) I bet one more time will do it for you.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I flushed the ADC out this evening and drove the bike around the yard a bit and it improved substantially. I'll do another flush after this weekend

Cheers,
Good to hear!

CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts