Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking I need to rebuild my carb but wondering if it could be the fuel pump or both. I use this almost everyday to check cows and noticed it a few days ago when I popped a wheelie. At first I thought I imagined it sputtering after I brought the front end down so I popped another and held it up longer. This time it almost died but after a few seconds it ran as strong as ever. Tonight I had to winch myself out of the creek with steep banks to get it level so I could start it again. I rebuilt this carb awhile back and put a dynojet in it and never had a problem till recently. Am I right on my thinking that it's possibly a stuck float. I'm not sure how the fuel pump works on these non efi's and never had one apart but wonder if that could be an issue with it not being level as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As you probably seen in my other thread about the diaphragm these fuel pumps operate by pulse from carb moving a diaphragm to pump fuel. I don't believe it should matter as to what angle the pump is and it should pump even upside down or sideways. I have seen a few bikes on their sides or flipped over and just keep running. Try taking the feed line off to the carb and place it in a container and crank the engine to see if fuel pumps out. You can also remove it and disassemble it as there really isn't much to these. Just be real careful not to tear the gaskets or diaphragm.
I'm not sure but almost sounds more like an electric issue when you raise the front that the bike quits. Is maybe the battery sliding? Just a thought. Can you try and duplicate it in a controlled way by lifting the front by jack or someway. Just wondering if it takes some force pushing something backwards like under power going uphill or doing that wheelie that's moving something. Keep us up to speed if ya figure it out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I been to busy to mess with it much since I pulled the carb off but yes if I pull the front end up it will die without load at idle. I will get to it later today and get it fixed. Pretty sure it's a fuel problem by how it acts and sputters but I will report back with results

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you find the carb not the issue you could unbolt the fuel pump from frame and turn it in different angles while the bike is running to see if that matters. Just a thought.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than the diaphragm being a little warped I couldn't find much else wrong with it. I also replaced the fuel lines with filter and it runs better now than it has in long time. Real snappy throttle that I don't remember feeling. Combination between a weak pump and worn out hoses I think was the issue

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. Filter is dry and not to dirty to prevent airflow. It has a k&n on it that gets cleaned about once a year. Definitely not plugged

1 - 7 of 7 Posts