Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noob here to the site,but been on quads all my life. Ok, not all my life that's just ridiculous....since 13 is more realistic. Ok so on my girls 800 someone tell me if this is supposed to be. We use it ALOT as a work horse dragging trees n clearing our land, and occasionally for play. When we hook up to something heavy and the back wheels spin she clicks it to AWD.....then she "goes straight":motz:......there is no turning the thing on hard pack, its gonna go where it wants. Is this normal?:nixweiss: I understand its "on demand" AWD but once it locks in should it stay locked in or will it go in an out "as needed"? let me tell you once its locked is stays that way.To unlock it she's gotta flip to 2wd n back up...which gets to be a PIA! she just has a hard time steering it if we go ride trials and had it on AWD if it ever lock on on her she'll lag behind cause she has to stop and "do the thing":lame: lol. Someone explain to me how the AWD system is "supposed" to work so I can do what I need to do if something is wrong here. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
When was the last time the fluids were changed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got 150 something hrs on it,the guy I bought it from had the service log. Everything seems to have been done like clockwork. It had 138 hrs on it when I got it, haven't touched it,other then swapping in a tranny and checking the levels. I popped low somehow pulling out a rhino.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would change out the front diff fluid. The system should click in and out as needed. Dirty fluid can keep that from happening. I keep mine in AWD all the time. It is full time 2x4 until the back wheels slip then it locks the front wheels and unlocks them when the rear wheels stop spinning. It only takes a 1/5 of a turn to lock front wheels.

One thing though and I was unclear if this is what happened but never flip on the 4x4 switch while the back wheels are spinning. You will blow up the Sprague cage in the front differential and then have no 4x4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts