Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Thinking it's etiquette to introduce yourself.

I'm Scott I live in Edmonton AB and have just bought my first quad (used) was looking for a yamaha or a polaris and ended up getting a sportsman!!

I will be using it for hunting!!, hauling light loads, plowing eventually and trail riding/playing around.

Couple of initial noob questions so I don't clog up the boards:
1. Have a hard time finding aftermarket forthe 400 is it the exact same as the 500? And to what extant, transmission? Axles?

2. In neutral it revs really high, what would cause this? No rpm gauge so don#t no exact rpms

3. It does not have high and low only one. It says high but is it actually high or low? Also, is there a possibility of putting a high and low transmission in it. Say one made for a 500?

Glad I joined this board, alot of good info so far. First mods will be a clutch kit and maybe a full skid plate as I broke a rear cv axle on my first ride.

Scott

·
Registered
862 Posts
the older sportsman 400 where built on the smaller hawk-eye chassis so they are not interchangeable with the 500's until 2011.

i don't think you would be able to get the 500 trans in there with out a ton of fabrication.

these bikes don't have a tach, you can get a generic one at most auto part stores that you just clamp on the spark plug wire to give you the rpm.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks Bruce and Duck for the welcome, and thanks Duck for the helpful response!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, curious how to add a footer and an avatar, if anyone could help me that would be great!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
At the very top go to of the page in the middle go to my account, then on the left there is an option to add an avatar. To add a singature at the bottem of your post go to the edit signature thats a bit further down the my Account page.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts