Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 570 for its first ride today, the little click or clunk that you here when it first engages in gear i noticed that i hear that everytime i let off and on the throttle at low speeds. Is this normal? Doesnt sound terrible but i do hear it. Also its my first polaris so maybe they all do it and i just dont know it. I really love this thing put on about 60 miles today. Does anyone think its odd where they put the battery? Doesnt seem like the best place to me but time will tell. Thanks for any info....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine will make a "clunk" but its not a like a bad thing, it more or less a sound of it engaging into the gear I put it into...

As far as the battery I thought it was in an odd spot as well, but I have had the battery under water a few times and had no issues so far...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes thats the sound mine makes but at low speeds it does it while I'm rideing it. It doesnt sound like a bad thing just seems od that it does it everytime i give it throttle or let totaly of the throttle. Even does it on big hills that i idle down. My battery was under water today as well, just seemed like it would better under the seat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
mine clunks a lot mostly in reverse and sometine going forward. I just figured it was a polaris thing. All the polaris atvs i've had or rode have had some cvt noise or clunk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does what your hearing happen when you let off the throttle and it almost sounds like a chain slapping? If so both my sportsman 570s do this, just thought it was normal.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It is probably just normal clutch clunking noises ......although my 550 doesn't have any of the sounds I am accustomed to hearing on my 700.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yes, it's the secondary. The secondary wants to be closed. But as the belt pulls the secondary around faster, centrifugal force overcomes the spring pressure and the clutch starts to open up, changing the gear ratio of the dive line based on engine RPM. This is why the unit never "shifts" gears.

The clutch as roller pins, that ride inside a special carrier. When you left off the throttle, you lose that centrifugal force and the secondary slams shut from the spring pressure. The clunk you here are the rollers hitting the bottom of the cam you they ride in.

This noise is normal, and the components are just doing what they are designed to do; the noise is just the result of the engineering.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, happy to hear its nothing to worry about. I really love this machine! Picked it up friday night and aleady have 120 miles on it. I've had it through water up to the floorboards a little mud and snow some sand and gravel rds. No problems the thing is amazeing! Then again I'm coming off of a 350 rancher that I've been riding the last 11yrs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks guys, happy to hear its nothing to worry about. I really love this machine! Picked it up friday night and aleady have 120 miles on it. I've had it through water up to the floorboards a little mud and snow some sand and gravel rds. No problems the thing is amazeing! Then again I'm coming off of a 350 rancher that I've been riding the last 11yrs.

Much smoother ride with ground clearance, now you can actually sit down while you ride.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When in reverse going slow I get a clunk on my 570. I only have 3hrs on it. I assume its normal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine makes all sorts of racket underneath. An I only have 5 miles on it so far. I don't know if all atv's do that but I am pretty sure all Polaris Atv's do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Add us to the list 1 570 has 20 miles on it, the other has 100 miles on it...both are clunking, rattling machines. We are taking both into the shop....I have never had a quad that felt so cheaply made as these....so far unimpressed with the quality of these machines. I have very little faith that these will hold up 5+ years like our hondas and Yamahas.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I don't know if all atv's do that but I am pretty sure all Polaris Atv's do.
My 700 has some normal clunking from that era but my 550 has none with very smooth and silent engagement.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine clunks up front but it's just when I let off the acceleration and it is slowing down by itself. That only happens when it's going like (1-5mph). Other than that then only noise I hear is if I go over a little jump or bump It sounds like something is lose down there. I checked everything to eye and it seems fine. I'll just wait until something happens to it before I take it in.

·
Registered
567 Posts
When you guys are hearing all of the clunks, is it when you are coasting and using the brakes? I know it seems weird but you can actually give it some throttle to slow down. If you spool the clutches up say 2700 rpm and let the engine do the braking for you and use the brakes it will come to a stop with no clunking. So use the throttle and the brakes at the sake time and see if the clunking stops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all of the info. My 570 has about 5 miles on it and I heard the clicking noise when hitting or letting off of the throttle. Glad to hear this is normal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems to me that is noise is coming form the drive shaft that goes to the front end? check it out if you move back and forth it by hand you get the same noise. Makes me think the U joint is bad right from the factory. check it out and let me know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts