Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Sportsman 500. It starts fine but after I turn the choke off it tends to stall right away or after running for awhile. Just plowed my whole driveway and left the choke engaged a small amount. It didn't stall once.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could very well be just found some more info suggesting that but where is the pilot jet and how do I unplug/clean it?

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
pilot jet is in the carb. it affects the idle to 1/4 throttle range.

take the carb off. take bottom off of carb. there are two jets in there that screw out. it'll be the smaller one. unscrew it and take it out. use a piece of wire or something to clean it out. be careful the jets are brass and you can damage/enlarge them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same bike and it is a HO. I know one easy and cheap first look is to check your air filter and make sure it is clean. Then I would also check the spark plug to see if it is burning correctly. You can learn a lot by your plug color. Now if your going to take your carb out , The first time take your time and take pics with you phone for reference later. I found that if you take your choke and disconnect from light pod and fish it down a bit , you get enough room to remove carb without having to remove the cable and from the carb.I guess I could start by giving steps. Also a service manual is what you need, it helps out a lot.Make sure gas is shutoff first!!
I like to stress it is not difficult, just take your time and take pics and more pics. You can always the delete pics later,here is a link to look at he explode view of the carb system which the numbers I post will refer to

Polaris ATV Parts 2011 A11MH50AX-AZ SPORTSMAN 500 HO ENGINE, CARBURETOR, LOWER Diagram

Also this is a good video of the carburator and rejetting. It is 45 min, but very helpful in showing the parts and tips

Things you will need: Carb cleaner, light colored towels, screw drivers, socket set, 90 degree tip needle nose pliers, small vise grips which the numbers I post will refer to

1. Remove seat
2. Remove air box from frame and carb intake and frame. set aside
3. Remove fuel lines and vacuum hose on sides of carb loosening clamps first.
4. Remove carb bracket holding the car to the frame. The bracket with 2 screws holding it to the frame.
5. Remove carb from engine intake and with the slack from the choke cable, you should have enough to pull the carb out and work on top of the frame. Before you rip into the carb, I put a light colored towel over the engine to catch anything that might fall down.
6. Turn the carb so the bottom of carb [Bowl ] is up. It will leak gas which is left in the carb and bowl. Which the towel will catch.
7. Remove the 2 screws [#5 } on the bowl to get to the jets and needle [#10} float assembly [#14]. Be careful not to strip the screws!!! Mine were very tight. I used a small vise grips to get them started because, I was going to strip them otherwise.
8. Now remove the bowl cover [#16 aka float body assembly] and make sure nothing falls out which there shouldn't be anything that does.
Now you are inside the lower part of the carb and can see the float [#14]/ needle[#10] and pilot jet[#11]. Now you can see if your carb is dirty. If dirty spray with carb cleaner all parts. Carefully remove the float [white plastic contraption] [#14] with the needle attached on the back side of it and set aside. Do not lose the needle, because the needle and seat are $60 to purchase. But easily found at any Polaris dealer. This is a good time to check your needle for any grooves on the rubber tip or the seat. Usually not. If your carb was leaking gas from the overflow, it is most likely that it needs cleaning . If there is any slop moving the seat from side to side, it is more than likely a bad o ring which you can get at a auto store for about $1
9.Remove pilot jet [#11] and inspect the small holes in it for cleanliness. Spray all parts down with carb cleaner and use light air pressure to blow out excess cleaner and debris from part. You could either try cleaning it with a welding torch file or get new one. I don't own any torch files and you could damage the jet. For about $15 for the part or get a carb kit for the whole carb approx. $60 which you will get extra parts for future carb issues. Hopefully not though.
Now go in reverse order to reattach parts and carb using carb cleaner and making sure they are clean and dry. I used some vaseline to to put on the o ring of the seat before putting back in the carb. Not much just enough to lube it to slide in snugly. Also you might want to replace fuel filter on the gas line into the carb if you haven't done this. It is about $5
Hopefully this helps you out. I never took apart a carb before till i came to this site and did some research here. [Which is a great site] I guess I was nervous about it, but with the price a dealer charges, I figured WT heck give it a shot. If you have any problems, you can ask or pm me.
Just remember to take your time and take pics. The first time I cleaned y carb, it took me about 4 hours. But i have done it 2 times since in about an hour and a half.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Not sure when I will get a chance to get to it, but I certainly do appreciate it!

Have a great day!

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I have the same bike and it is a HO. I know one easy and cheap first look is to check your air filter and make sure it is clean. Then I would also check the spark plug to see if it is burning correctly. You can learn a lot by your plug color. Now if your going to take your carb out , The first time take your time and take pics with you phone for reference later. I found that if you take your choke and disconnect from light pod and fish it down a bit , you get enough room to remove carb without having to remove the cable and from the carb.I guess I could start by giving steps. Also a service manual is what you need, it helps out a lot.Make sure gas is shutoff first!!
I like to stress it is not difficult, just take your time and take pics and more pics. You can always the delete pics later,here is a link to look at he explode view of the carb system which the numbers I post will refer to

Polaris ATV Parts 2011 A11MH50AX-AZ SPORTSMAN 500 HO ENGINE, CARBURETOR, LOWER Diagram

Also this is a good video of the carburator and rejetting. It is 45 min, but very helpful in showing the parts and tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TnAEbt8tj0

Things you will need: Carb cleaner, light colored towels, screw drivers, socket set, 90 degree tip needle nose pliers, small vise grips which the numbers I post will refer to

1. Remove seat
2. Remove air box from frame and carb intake and frame. set aside
3. Remove fuel lines and vacuum hose on sides of carb loosening clamps first.
4. Remove carb bracket holding the car to the frame. The bracket with 2 screws holding it to the frame.
5. Remove carb from engine intake and with the slack from the choke cable, you should have enough to pull the carb out and work on top of the frame. Before you rip into the carb, I put a light colored towel over the engine to catch anything that might fall down.
6. Turn the carb so the bottom of carb [Bowl ] is up. It will leak gas which is left in the carb and bowl. Which the towel will catch.
7. Remove the 2 screws [#5 } on the bowl to get to the jets and needle [#10} float assembly [#14]. Be careful not to strip the screws!!! Mine were very tight. I used a small vise grips to get them started because, I was going to strip them otherwise.
8. Now remove the bowl cover [#16 aka float body assembly] and make sure nothing falls out which there shouldn't be anything that does.
Now you are inside the lower part of the carb and can see the float [#14]/ needle[#10] and pilot jet[#11]. Now you can see if your carb is dirty. If dirty spray with carb cleaner all parts. Carefully remove the float [white plastic contraption] [#14] with the needle attached on the back side of it and set aside. Do not lose the needle, because the needle and seat are $60 to purchase. But easily found at any Polaris dealer. This is a good time to check your needle for any grooves on the rubber tip or the seat. Usually not. If your carb was leaking gas from the overflow, it is most likely that it needs cleaning . If there is any slop moving the seat from side to side, it is more than likely a bad o ring which you can get at a auto store for about $1
9.Remove pilot jet [#11] and inspect the small holes in it for cleanliness. Spray all parts down with carb cleaner and use light air pressure to blow out excess cleaner and debris from part. You could either try cleaning it with a welding torch file or get new one. I don't own any torch files and you could damage the jet. For about $15 for the part or get a carb kit for the whole carb approx. $60 which you will get extra parts for future carb issues. Hopefully not though.
Now go in reverse order to reattach parts and carb using carb cleaner and making sure they are clean and dry. I used some vaseline to to put on the o ring of the seat before putting back in the carb. Not much just enough to lube it to slide in snugly. Also you might want to replace fuel filter on the gas line into the carb if you haven't done this. It is about $5
Hopefully this helps you out. I never took apart a carb before till i came to this site and did some research here. [Which is a great site] I guess I was nervous about it, but with the price a dealer charges, I figured WT heck give it a shot. If you have any problems, you can ask or pm me.
Just remember to take your time and take pics. The first time I cleaned y carb, it took me about 4 hours. But i have done it 2 times since in about an hour and a half.
Good post :veryhappy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts