Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 325 had a bead battery. started with pullcord but it does not seem to be charging. it runs with the battery off but i cannot get any reading from a volt meter on any wires at the rear. any ideals where i can look for problems?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Should get 13.5 - 14.5 volts at the battery, with a good battery, while it's running. If you don't get antything there, check the wires going to the battery, then check the voltage regulator.
This is a place to start.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which wire do i check on the regulator. there are 5 wires there

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Which wire do I check on the regulator. There are 5 wires there...
Time for a manual my friend. Its quite useful...:puppy_dog_eyes:

CW

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
charged battery installed no start with starter, nothing. pulled started no problem, took key out from ignition pull started no problem with key in my pocket. is my ignition shot????

·
Registered
238 Posts
First of all, you test the regulator at the battery while the quad is running. Again you should be between 13.5 - 14.5 volts, anything other that this your regulator is bad.
Second, like CWlongshot said, get a service manual. This has a lot of info that you can use and is very helpful with trouble shooting your or any problems that comes up.
Third, if you can start your quad without a key, you probably have some wires crossed, which also could be your charging problems.
A service manual will tell you which wires goes where.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to pull the wiring harness tomorrow to see whats going on.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After pulling wiring harness apart discovered that with battery hook up only got 2 volts on battery. disconnected there is 12 volts. the red wire coming of the circuit breaker that connects to the starter solinoid briefy shows conunity with meter, this wire goes to the ignition and voltage regulator. when wire is unhooked from regulator there is no conunity on it. am i looking at replacing the regulator or is there something else i can check.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is this 2 volts while running? Sounds like a severe drain, wires crossed somewhere.
Did you check the voltage at the battery while the quad was running? How many volts did you have then?
You need a manual and check the wire schematic to see if yours is the way it's supposed to be hooked up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with battery disconnected. pull started, the soild yellow wire coming to regulator is getting hot.,unhooked from regulator there is 33v ac @idel. there is no reading coming from regulator. headlights work without regulator hooked up but get bright upon reving. is my regulator gone?

·
Registered
238 Posts
with battery disconnected. pull started, the soild yellow wire coming to regulator is getting hot.,unhooked from regulator there is 33v ac @idel. there is no reading coming from regulator. headlights work without regulator hooked up but get bright upon reving. is my regulator gone?
So far, you have not answered my question about how many volts is there at the battery with the quad running (battery connected). You need to complete the circuit for the test. :deadhorse:
Get a manual and good luck!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
dont run it without a battery or with a bad one it will blow all the light bulbs, sounds like voltage regular is bad , maybe ign switch too if it starts with key off

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the ignition fixed. still waiting on a voltage regulator. local dealership is crap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry for the late reply, but my wife came close to dying so i have been away from home for a while. I didn't need a regulator, had a crappy battery, bought a AGM battery now it works great

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hay I'm having a similar problem! If you get your wiring figured out would you please reply to me the color codes of wires at the regulator ?!! I need tk find out which wires from my regulator go to which color wires on lume ? For example = red from regulator f
Goes to ?????? Color on harness and so on!!! Thanks!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts