Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I am starting another muffler thread. I need advice.
I want to buy a slip on for my 2013 850XP. I don't want loud and obnoxious.
Yes, I realize that is subjective, ut most of you grasp my intent. I'd like a nice deep rumble and maybe 20-25% louder than stock, but not so loud that you can hear me leaving Mullens while swilling beer at Riders Paradise! LOL
Any suggestions? BTW I weld like a first grader so modifying the stock would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Slip On Muffler

I have been watching videos and searching for a slip on that is not loud. I too would like something a little louder than stock.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have looked myself. The 850 has a motor design that produces a great sound. The problem I found is everything is just too loud for my taste. There is a guy on here last night with a mbrp clip and its way too loud. Same with Looney tuned, Big Gun, HMF, etc. My favorite sound is from the Speedwerx, but I think its even too loud.
Good luck, I will follow this thread to see if its possible.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Going to see if Red012 will do a drive by video clip for sound test. Sounds nice and mellow just reving the motor.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice to know

I'm not alone. Seems like there would be a market for it. Maybe one of the shops will develop something soon.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I wouldn't count on it. There will likely be zero power or response improvements from a slightly deeper tone slip on. Therefore, it has no use other than improved sound. Unfortunately it seems that most who want improved sound want an obnoxious (listen to how powerful I am trying to make myself feel) exhaust. A loud pipe takes no engineering talent to produce. The industry caters to that crowd since they know they are easy to sell to and make bigger profits.

I have been in the ATV scene for decades and on the forums for years. I see it all the time in the sport quads. Guys come on and post a thread like this:
"What's the loudest pipe you can buy?"
What their thread should actually read like:
"Hey guys, look how small my penis is. What can I do to compensate?"

·
Registered
944 Posts
Totally agree. Insecurities manifested loudly. Plus it's rude to others and does not help the sport.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i like this sounds, but its still too loud for sure

·
Registered
420 Posts
Totally agree. Insecurities manifested loudly. Plus it's rude to others and does not help the sport.
I don't know about "insecurities". But I do know loud pisses off the people who have the power to close our trails. Including the US Forest Closing Service.

I'm looking for a muffler that will sound like a BMW motorcycle. The only ones I have seen are add-ons :suspect:instead of replacements.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The 850 is just a very loud motor. The only way to get a throaty deep sound that is slighly louder than stock, would be to custom make a chambered muffler. Any straight thru muffler will be very loud.

I actually think that one of the vendors could make a good buck selling a muffler that looks good (not a rusty piece of crap like stock) and that sounds great, even if it doesn't add performance. I have seen a ton of people just like on this thread, looking for exactly that kind of muffler.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
look into HMF swamp series. not the XL but the regular swamp series. buddy of mine has one on a renegade and its no louder than the stock exhaust on my 850.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey, Swampdonk might be onto something. This is what I found. Again its hard to tell from sound clips. If it actually sounds like that in person I like it!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ouch... a little pricey at $400 for just a slip on. It does come with a spark arrestor and they state it's only 1-2 decibel over stock. If so, that would easily pass my 96db limit. I had mine tested at the dunes and I believe it was 88db.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with curtwpk, too loud draws extra attention that is not always welcomed. I bought a Big Gun ECO and quiet core insert for my 2013 850, put it on rode around the house once and took it off and went back to stock. I ride Tug Hill in Lewis County NY and a lot of the trails go by houses so I don't want to wear out my welcome since there is nowhere to ride legally in CT.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hey, Swampdonk might be onto something. This is what I found. Again its hard to tell from sound clips. If it actually sounds like that in person I like it!

Polaris 850 xp HMF Swamp series - YouTube
That does sound nice...... not to loud and a littel purr! :D As loud exhaust on a quad or sled is just plain..... :censored: annoying. It seems many with these loud pipe owners don't have the mental capacity to know when to "let off the throttle", creating the echoed above statements of "unwanted attention to the sport". Which in turn causes trail closures and more laws, regulations, ect!! :fing02:

Okay.... I'm done. :soapbox:

·
Registered
1 Posts
would it not work if you took a tuned pipe from the scrambler 850 and put it on the sportsman? those have a bit of a more throaty sound to them, but not abnoxious.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
totally agree......why go louder...its only gonna piss people off who already wants to close our trails......loud muffler equals small penis....:cowboy: ...too funny!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts