Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a drive chain for my bike and it lasted me about 3 hours of ride.I do have my bike set up for going through mud. I assume these chains now a days are design more for the mx crews of sport bikes and forgot about us 4x4s lol. Now, -41.00, I am on the hunt for a stronger chain that will last more than hours lol. and help from anyone would be appreciated.

·
Registered
348 Posts
on my scrammy i used a "X" ring chain and it lasted about 2 years. it cost alot more than 41 bucks. chains ='s more $$$$ the better they are

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
go with a good quality brand chain and as the kid said, get an o-ring chain at mininum, but an x-ring chain will be best. get something like a regina, RK, D.I.D, something like that. a quality brand, x-ring chain should last a few years. expect these chains to run over $100 though. you get what you pay for when it comes to chains. for $41 i know that chain wasnt even o-ring, and those types of chains dont last too long on 400-500 lbs plus machines

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for 41.00 the chain was actually an o-ring chain. So I did go ahead and just ordered an RK 520EXW Gold XW-RING Chain 520x84. Hopefully this would get me better results. and it wasnt that bad in price rockymountain had it for 66.00

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
wow, o-ring for 41.00, thats cheap, even for a cheap brand of o-ring chain. RK's are great chains. two other questions before you put the new chain on.

how worn are the sprockets? is one a lot new then the other, and are they perfectly aligned with one another?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sprokets look fine but I am gonna check the tension on the new chain.I had a d.i.d. chain before some regular o-ring one and it lasted about 4 mounths without maintance and that was fine for me.I do ride pretty hard and have aggressive tires.I might include the fact that the new chain broke doing water wheelies lol.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
double check the sprockets and make sure you have the chain adjusted properly, even an elcheapo chain would've lasted a couple days worth of riding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah when I get the new chain in ill double check the adjustment on it

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I've replaced my chain with an implement chain bought at the local Fleet Farm store for $13.00.I did all kinds of riding with it on but I always kept it adjusted and lubed and I had for years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts