Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sportsman 500 that I bought new last year. Has always ran fine until the other day. Now it will not idle unless throttle is pressed and will not start unless giving it some throttle. Sometimes it will idle fine after being ridden for a bit but then it will just sputter dead. Was going to adjust idle but questioning why the idle would just start acting up. What do I need to check or just adjust idle a little to see if that fixes it?? Thanks for any recommendations!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Adjust the slack in the throttle cable. They stretch out a little bit, and I find on the wifes that it also needs to but raised a bit in the cold. get it to idle at 1200-1300 when at operating temp. That is on the upper end of what the book says, but works good for me.
Are you experiencing colder then normal temps down there?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
New plugs are always a good cheap place to start!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same thing happened to my 850. Out of nowhere the thing wouldn't stay running unless I held the my thumb on it. I adjusted the slack and adjusted my idle set screw. I'd play with the slack for a while first.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Adjust slack in throttle cable, should be 1/8 inch at thumb throttle , then turn the idle up a little, Knurled knob on bottom of carb, don't turn it up with cable or it will speed up when you turn,.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just woke up to 4-5 inches of snow this morning so it is DEFINITELY colder than normal down here than normal. Will get down there this morning and mess with slack first and see if I can get it right with it. With snow ONCE every 2 Years on Average her in Bama I don't have a Plow BUT DEF want to get my Girls out to PLOW SNOW with it!! Thanks for Replys and will send what fixed it later on!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts