Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just want to add I finally dropped the plow and went ridin yesterday and it was beautiful out and had a blast! But on another note, I was wondering if anyone runs a different Brand spark plug in your quad. I personally dont like NGK plugs. I have had nothing but problems with them and I have already replaced mine with a stock number 3923 Autolite. Haha yes a direct interchange from the BKR6ES NGK. I know in the manuals it says if you run any plug other than the BKR6ES it can cause serious damage. But honestly my quad is running awesome and actually seems to run better! I'm not a big fan of Champions either which the stock number of the Champion is a 71 aka RC12YC. What's anyone and everyone's input on your preference of spark plugs??? Have a nice day!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
NGK is your best bet IMO. I just switched my 2010 850 XP to NGK (LZKAR7A) and have been very happy. Been plowing snow and riding in cold temperatures and have not had one issue with loading up and they are buring much better than the stock champions. NGK is the most commonly used spark plug in recreational vehicles and motorcycles for a reason. Also put NGK platinums in my Audi TT and was very pleased.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Champion, Autolite, or NGK are all good in my book. These things are not near as fine tuned like a car, so I find it hard to believe that the extra price for platinum this Iridium that plugs is worth it. Higher heat range to prevent fouling, yes since the 850s tend to run rich. Platinum and Iridium are just electroplated onto the tips of the plugs to reduce wear and extend the mileage range. I highly doubt my 850 will see 50k+ miles. Copper is the best getting the charge from point A to point B IMO, and you'll see a lot of supped up muscle cars tuned on copper plugs. On the flip side, Iridium can be made to have the tiniest sharpest point on a plug right now which will result in a more consistent spark, but for the price, still not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input fellas. I know a handful of people who run nothing but NGK in their recreational vehicles. But at the same time I know people who take them out immediately and replace them with Champions. Guy worked at a dealership putting together Polaris sleds, said it had happened to him a bunch of times he would go to test run it and it wouldnt even make it to the end of the field and would die. Switched the brand new NGK with a Champion and walla. I bought the Autolite not knowing how it would work and it runs great and has been for a few months. Better than before! Well hey thanks again, have fun but be safe!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Snowmobiles are actually a different animal and I would run a champion in a sled over a NGK.

I believe Polaris sleds come stock with champion plugs too?!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I typically run NGK in most everything small engine related that I own, and AC Delco Iridiums in my GM daily drivers. I'll put in a Champion if the NGK's are out of stock when I need one....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sled was brand new and it came with an NGK atleast then. Not too sure how long ago it was. He said he assembled new mowers with NGKs and they didn't run either. And yea I know what you mean it is a personal preference and I know most people run NGKs which is why I posted this thread to see what people had to say. I own nothing but Fords and run nothing but motorcraft or autolite plugs and wires.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I typically run NGK in most everything small engine related that I own, and AC Delco Iridiums in my GM daily drivers. I'll put in a Champion if the NGK's are out of stock when I need one....
I agree. NGK for small engines, or champion if it was stock, and ONLY AC Delco for the truck.

What about NGK Iridium for the Polaris?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts