Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a little mud fun on my Scrambler for the first time last weekend. It's not my style, but I wanted to ride and it had rained for several days, I knew what I was in for.

So I got out the powerwasher to clean it up yesterday. Stood it on it's tail, took off the skid plates, pulled all the crap out of the chassis and washed away. It stayed on it's tail for about an hour. I dropped it back down and let it sit while I ate lunch. When I went back out to crank it, it ran like crap. Wouldn't idle really, spit and sputtered. It would run and sorta smooth out about 3,000 rpms. It sounds funny, engine and exhaust, and acts sorta like it's the air filter is wet.

Well, that's the first thing I looked at today. Pulled the air filter expecting water and maybe oil in the box...none. Cranked it and let it warm up at 3,300 rpms then took it around the block. It has no power. It occured to me that it could be running on one cylinder.

Anybody have any ideas on where to look?

I often stand my quads on their tail for cleaning and maintenance, but this is the first time I have heaved the Scrambler up on it's tail, surely that doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Did you force some water into the belt cover? may want to drain it and dry it out.

Check the exhaust for water also.

Either way let us know what you find.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would say change the plugs. When I was a kid I rolled my 3 wheelers.............. a lot :lmao: and they would never start when I put them back on three wheels. So all I ever had to do was change the plug and give it a few pulls and it would take right off...... weird part was that the plugs usually looked fine, they were not oily or anything, it just fouled them and changing them did the trick. Does the machine just seem boggy, not much power, maybe backfire? Could be an injector issue as well.............

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the plugs.

Both look terrible. Had no idea that my plugs were getting that bad. Don't think that setting it on it's tail messed up the plugs, but it seems to be the case.

Think I'll order a set of iridiums to keep on hand in case this ever happens again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I put mine on its tail a couple of times to clean it or do some maintenance and it never hapenned, 5900 hard km on it and the plugs are still like new

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you running a programmer, pipe or anything like that?
No, nothing. Looking at getting an Aaen slip-on before the season starts again, mostly cause I want to hear it more. Aaen says I won't need a controller and from the rich looks of these plugs, I'm sure I won't.

What are you running?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts