Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago a friend and I took my 550 xp and my 550 X2 up to the mountains for some trail riding. Nothing difficult or rough, just some normal trail riding. Mostly old logging roads. Well the next weekend I wanted to clean them up and grease them. I like to keep my bikes in like new condition so I even take the time to pull the wheels off when I wash them. When I pulled the 550 X2 into the garage tonight to grease it I noticed that it was leaning really bad to the front drivers side. I checked the tire pressure, and then pulled all the wheels again so I could inspect the suspension and chassis. I cant find anything wrong with it. No bent arms/chassis/paint chipped on suspension parts or anything. All the preloads on the shocks are the same as well. Im kinda thinking the gas shock went out.

I know someone had a similar problem not to long ago and I did try to do a search but could not find anything except for someone that had flipped theirs over. My bike has not been flipped over or wrecked before.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Are you running the stock tires? When I was testing the Roctane tires I noticed a size difference between the two rears. One was off quite a bit causing the lean to one side.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am running the stock tires. I have been running them for a long while now and have never noticed this before. Double checked the air pressure and rolled it back and forth just to make sure there was not a flat spot in the tires. Only issue we had that day was a flat right rear tire. It had tire sealant in it but it did not work. We plugged the sidewall and pumped it back up. Once back home the same evening I equalized the tire pressure in all of the tires. Running 7psi in all four. Tire went flat due to a broken glass bottle. We caught it as soon as it happened so I would think no damage to other parts would have happened due to that

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
There was another thread last week and the suggestion was to check the body which gave the illusion the bike was leaning. The other thing I would suggest is to get the tape measure out and start to measure from the ground to identical spots.on the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same issue with my new 2013 850 xp touring. I noticed it the day after I bought it. After looking at it I think mine is in the plastics. Have 20 hrs on it now and it hasn't changed. I just don't think the dealer would do anything for it. Wish I would of noticed it at the dealer before I left with it. Other than that the bike has been great.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My first thought would be to measure from the ground to the frame on all four corners. then measure the A-arms to the plastics. Find the differences. If the frame is showing different in one corner over the other L vs R but the A-arms to plastics aren't it could be a bent A-arm. If the Frame is fine, but the A-arm aren't it could be the body.

Do the tires appear to be in alignment? One isn't leaning in or out at weird angle?

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Had the same issue with my Oranger 850. Ended up being a flaw with the tires. Both rears were marked 26 but one was much larger. I found the error when I took them off and stacked them on top of each other.

Thor

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Have a second look on your Springs,i have this one's and it's some times hart to see if one is broken right on top or bottom.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything measured out ok with the frame and such. Put it back under the house, and then used it for some yard work several days later. Once back in the garage the dang thing is now sitting level. Who knows, weird. I think the shocks and springs are getting weak also. Its an X2 Model and the spring tension adjustments are turned up almost all of the way. My regular 550 sits higher with the spring adjustments in the lowest setting.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The 2x would have a little more weight if they both don't have trunks. so the regular would sit higher, but if the 2x has been used and possibly abused the springs could be starting to lose some strength.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts