Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 2012 Polaris sportsman 800 efi. Just got it rebuilt by the dealer, and when temps are colder out it has a hard time starting the engine will kick over for a second as if it was about to start then stall then when you hit the key again it seems like just the starter is turning and not rolling the engine over but when you want 5 mins or so and try it again it will engage for a second again and stop then have to wait again. This goes on at least 15 or 20 times sometimes then when the machine does finally start it will start right up as long as the engine is warm. This morning I went out to start it doing the same thing then when it started it puked all the oil out around the oil filter. Then I thought no better time to change the oil so I put a new filter and oil back in it fired it up and did the same thing. Has anyone had these issues before.? And the deal apparently put a new temp gauge in the cylinder and a part in the starter trying to solve the problem. That was before the filter started blowing it's seals. Any help would be muchly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Only idea I have about the starter is the starter bendix is weak. Or maybe the engine oil may be too heavy. Puking the oil out at the filter indicates that the old rubber seal is was left in when the new filter was put on by the dealer. Easy enough to do if you are not looking for it. There may be another issue, but that is the most common.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked at the bill and it was the bendix they replaced. And for the oil filter 110 percent for sure there was no old filter seal in there I triple checked lol and before it started blowing them out I probley put 200 km on it then this morning it started blowing them out thanks for the help tho

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Crankcase breather tube is frozen. Find it, should go to airbox I believe. Will freeze solid with condensation in cold temps.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Crankcase breather tube is frozen. Find it, should go to airbox I believe. Will freeze solid with condensation in cold temps.
Ah Hah, that makes sense. I have seen the same thing with too heavy an oil in cold temps, hadn't thought of the breather tube. That is why I follow this forum......always something to learn. Would that explain the starting problem too?

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crankcase breather tube was not frozen clean all the way threw. So it's starting to get narrowed down to the pressure relief valve. Where abouts is this located? And the process of taking it apart and checking it. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
When you say it was rebuilt by the dealer, do you mean the motor was rebuilt? If so, what kind of warranty did they offer you? Is it still in thatwarranty period? I would say a call to them is in order. You most likely have an oil pump issue, which they should cover.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The crankcase breather tube was not frozen clean all the way threw. So it's starting to get narrowed down to the pressure relief valve. Where abouts is this located? And the process of taking it apart and checking it. Thanks
if I remember correctly its at the lower left side of the motor not far from where the oil filter is located. Its is in the Polaris microfiche Parts look up diagrams.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Items 5 through 8

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found where it's at. Got the bolt and spring out but the and put a magnet in to get the dowl out but seems to be stuck, could I put oil back in and try blow it out? Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
Not sure if thats the way to do it...

·
11,155 Posts
Did you get this fixed? I've read elsewhere (Ranger Forum) about this being a common problem with the 800 engines. They recommended having something to catch it with like a magnet and/or rag and start for just a couple seconds to blow it out. Do a Google search. If it's stuck bad you have to go through the oil pump cavity to drive it out.
One guy that does a lot of rebuilds said he ALWAYS replaces the oil pressure regulator dowel and spring and shines up the hole when doing a rebuild on these engines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts