Polaris ATV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this issue. When I turn the ignition to ON nothing powers up. The battery is fine. If I turn my low beam lights on they will come on but if I switch to high beam, the low beam goes off but the high beam does not come on. The 12" bar light that was wired (prior to me purchasing the quad) always came on when I turned on the ignition with the light switch in the OFF position. Now, the light bar will not come on with the ignition ON and light switch in the OFF position. The fuel pump does not even go through it's 1-2 second cycle. This is puzzling because I rode it for a few minutes yesterday evening with no issue. I have a new spare ignition switch and swapped them out and still nothing. I took a picture of the red wire coming from the solenoid and the end that connects to the battery looks worn out. See picture. Could a fuse be causing the issue? I checked both 20A fuses and they are good. The other red wire connected to the battery goes to the winch and it is not working now with the ignition ON, one of the small wires goes to the grip warmer (they are working, and the other is a pigtail to my trickle charger.
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Auto part

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good afternoon. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this issue. When I turn the ignition to ON nothing powers up. The battery is fine. If I turn my low beam lights on they will come on but if I switch to high beam, the low beam goes off but the high beam does not come on. The 12" bar light that was wired (prior to me purchasing the quad) always came on when I turned on the ignition with the light switch in the OFF position. Now, the light bar will not come on with the ignition ON and light switch in the OFF position. The fuel pump does not even go through it's 1-2 second cycle. This is puzzling because I rode it for a few minutes yesterday evening with no issue. I have a new spare ignition switch and swapped them out and still nothing. I took a picture of the red wire coming from the solenoid and the end that connects to the battery looks worn out. See picture. Could a fuse be causing the issue? I checked both 20A fuses and they are good. The other red wire connected to the battery goes to the winch and it is not working now with the ignition ON, one of the small wires goes to the grip warmer (they are working, and the other is a pigtail to my trickle charger. View attachment 175438
It might help us help you if we knew the Make, Model, and year of just what we are working on?
2006 Sportsman EFI 800
Here is an update. I replaced the 1' red 6 gauge cable that runs from the starter solenoid relay switch to the battery and still no success. I took a picture of the solenoid switch and it seems pretty bad. (I have not put the "boot" back on where it attaches to the solenoid) Prior to this issue happening, there was about a 1-2 second delay from when I turned the key until it actually fired up. I called the person from whom I bought the quad to see if this ever happened when he owned it. He said it was doing the exact same thing and he purchased a cheap solenoid switch off Amazon. My thought is to purchase another solenoid but, this time OEM. I found one on eBay for $74.95. also removed the four fuses and they have seen better days. (They all seem to be good) I am going to replace them. Can any fuse of the same size and amp be fine or do I have to go with what is currently in the fuse box which is self-resetting fuses?
Best regards, Window Wood Rectangle Brick Grass
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior
Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire Bumper
Adapter Automotive lighting Adapter Audio equipment Gadget
Font Parallel Automotive lighting Technology Electronic device

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that positive wire touching the frame??? The red wires I would most definitely change
It was and I
Adapter Automotive lighting Adapter Audio equipment Gadget
Window Wood Rectangle Brick Grass
Font Parallel Automotive lighting Technology Electronic device
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior
replaced it and still nothing.
Here is an update. I replaced the 1' red 6 gauge cable that runs from the starter solenoid relay switch to the battery and still no success. I took a picture of the solenoid switch and it seems pretty bad. (I have not put the "boot" back on where it attaches to the solenoid) Prior to this issue happening, there was about a 1-2 second delay from when I turned the key until it actually fired up. I called the person from whom I bought the quad to see if this ever happened when he owned it. He said it was doing the exact same thing and he purchased a cheap solenoid switch off Amazon. My thought is to purchase another solenoid but, this time OEM. I found one on eBay for $74.95. also removed the four fuses and they have seen better days. (They all seem to be good) I am going to replace them. Can any fuse of the same size and amp be fine or do I have to go with what is currently in the fuse box which is self-resetting fuse.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have corrosion at the plug at the left handlebar switch where the loom plugs into the switch. Pull out both connectors clean and reinstall.
I did as instructed, brushed and blew out the connectors then reconnected the plugs. I am still dead in the water. This is very odd. It ran good Friday night and nothing Saturday morning. If the winch isn’t working with the ignition switch on does that fall in line with what is going on?

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I replace the 5 A, 15A, and both 20A fuses and still no success.

The only other thing I can think might be causing the issue is, after I rode it the last time I sprayed underneath the wheel wells and all plastics with Slick Shine and Protectant. I might be reaching for straws with that possibility. What does this box control?
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate

Attachments

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the RED wire with the YELLOW rubber protector goes to the winch. I’ve even removed that wire from the positive post and only had the brand new red wire from the solenoid attached to the positive battery terminal, still nothing. The OFF RUN OFF switch is in the RUN position and I don’t have a volt meter.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where is the chassis power wire (fusible links) connected and do the fusible links have continuity?

View attachment 175618
You have corrosion at the plug at the left handlebar switch where the loom plugs into the switch. Pull out both connectors clean and reinstall.
Yesterday, I got it to come on using your recommendation from the other day regading the switch and cleaning the inside of the plugs. I ended up ordering a new switch and it should arrive tomorrow. I was also having issues with my power outlet which has never worked since I bought the quad second-hand. I ordered an OEM replacement and it arrived earliier in the week. Since I had the quad to where it would come on by jiggling the wires, there was a point where it was staying on even without messing with the wires. So, I decided to go ahead and replace the power outlet just by connecting the two wires and not installing it, yet. To my surprise, it worked. Okay, I am happy. Well, I turn the key off and unplug the two wires going to the power outlet so I could properly install it. After installing it, I go to turn the key and nothing. I try jiggling the wires at the switch and nothing. Not even the low-beam lights are working. Just my luck. Hopefully, when I get the new switch installed tomorrow all will be well. I assume all of that is tied together. I am sorry for the long drawn-out explanation. Thank you.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After decompressing my thoughts, I removed the two plugs and cleaned them out with electrical cleaner. I reinstalled the plugs and it still did not come on. So I jiggled the wires on the plug and the back part the switch and when I found a sweet spot it wuld come on. I ended up ordering a new switch and it should arrive tomorrow. I was also having issues with my power outlet which has never worked since I bought the quad second-hand. I ordered an OEM replacement and it arrived yesterday. Since I had the quad to where it would come on by jiggling the wires, there was a point where it was staying on even without messing with the wires. So, I decided to go ahead and replace the power outlet just by connecting the two wires and not installing it, yet. To my surprise, it the new power outlet worked. Okay, I am happy. I turn the key off and unplug the two wires going to the power outlet so I could properly install it. After installing it, I turn the key and nothing. I try jiggling the wires and nothing. THe low-beam lights would not even come on as they would a few days ago. Just my luck. Hopefully, when I get the new switch installed tomorrow all will be well. I assume all of that is tied together. I am sorry for the long drawn-out explanation. Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.