Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first let me say the kill switch is "on" (for those that helped on my last thread...hehe).

The 2006 500 sportsman, was running just fine and once again, it stopped. Turn the key the dash lights up fine and then just a click. This is one you helped in the past with as I put a new switch, battery and starter within the last 6 months!

A visitor to the ranch used the kill switch so he thought it was the battery and so on so he took all the wires and cleaned them as well as charged the battery (I wasn't around when all this went down). After they left is when I started to try and fix it when I came in here and found out about the kill switch. Once on, it ran fine for a week before this new event happened.

This is used by an 80 year old guy who doesn't beat it up or haul ass, just to feed the animals and get around. When it first happened, you would turn the key and get a couple of clicks. He left it to join me across the way working and when we came back, it started. We turned it off went back to work and it never started again, and we only get a single click.

So from past experience, I put the battery on a "smart charger" and it had a full charge. The starter is new and the switch is new, as well as the battery, all less than 6 months as I said all bought from a dealership.

So where to start from here.....I'm really not bad at troubleshooting problems and know I should start at the battery and work my way forward. Battery has a full charge, I have energy to the solenoid......now what?

Sorry so long, but I figure the more you know how it came to happen, the easier for you to figure it out! THANKS in advance and I'm eagerly waiting for you skills to shine once again!

·
Premium Member
2021 scrambler 1000 xp s..
830 Posts
if you jump the solenoid will it turn over that would rule out that and then i would look at the ignition switch, there will be guys that are way better with this, this is just two things i would look at

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
13,341 Posts
Are you sure all the wires got hooked back up to the battery positive when he took them off and clean them. Look for a disconnected wire by the battery

Reactions: zipper77

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I didn't get back yesterday but now the property has no internet! I swear we have ghost on this property that just like to mess with me! Had to get a hotspot to check this as we could be days without they tell us.

So first step jump positive and negative on solenoid, if it starts, I have a bad solenoid. Then the switch, if I pull it out, is there some way to test it without buying a new one?

And the wires were the first thing I checked, yes he did clean them, they are all tight, battery is still fully charged......and it ran for a week fine before this event.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help, will check back in a few hours.

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
The 06 only has one relay to 'click' and that's the starter solenoid - if it maintains 12v at the battery when the solenoid closes, then either the solenoid is faulty, the engine lost ground or the starter motor is faulty - you test the starter motor by jumping the battery pos to the starter motor - if the motor runs both the starting motor and engine ground is good - if the starter motor does not run, test ground by jumping from the neg terminal of the battery to a bolt or other part on the engine and apply battery pos to the starter motor wire. If the problem is determined, then repair the fault. If the solenoid clicks and battery voltage drops below 10 volts, either the starter motor is bad (locked up) or the battery is weak.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a bike that does this, it was either overheated or ran low on oil and now needs a rebuild.

It will start but it often clicks first and needs some motivation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 06 only has one relay to 'click' and that's the starter solenoid - if it maintains 12v at the battery when the solenoid closes, then either the solenoid is faulty, the engine lost ground or the starter motor is faulty - you test the starter motor by jumping the battery pos to the starter motor - if the motor runs both the starting motor and engine ground is good - if the starter motor does not run, test ground by jumping from the neg terminal of the battery to a bolt or other part on the engine and apply battery pos to the starter motor wire. If the problem is determined, then repair the fault. If the solenoid clicks and battery voltage drops below 10 volts, either the starter motor is bad (locked up) or the battery is weak.
Sorry about not responding sooner Late, but I finally, after avoiding it since the beginning, was infected with the plague! 6 days and Im back, maybe not ready for 12 rounds but I'll still kick most butts half my age!

So, I read your reply and think I got it.....but a couple of questions; starters not but months old and is from Polaris, have you heard of them burning out that quick? When the guy who messed with it "cleaned" the wires, he brushed them off and never actually removed them. However, he did remove the battery to charge it. To run for a week without incident seems too weird to have a bad wire or a bad ground.

The solenoid is backordered here, up to 6 weeks thru the dealer so probably going to have to use Amazon as they are readily available there.....just hate having to figure why the same part number is $9.00 with one guy and $99.00 with the next!

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
Sorry you battled the plague - I myself have natural immunity and haven't missed a day of work in years. I used to work for a company that gave us 4 hours of 'sick time' for every 30 worked with no tardy's or unexcused absences. My average work week was 52 hours. When I was getting close to retirement, I had accumulated 32 days of 'sick time' and I had 9 weeks of vacation coming. So I went to a doctor who ordered me off work for 30 days under the medical leave legislation. When my medical leave was over, I went back to work, put in my two week notice, took two weeks of vacation and on my 25 year anniversary date, I still had 7 weeks of paid vacation coming. My final paycheck was almost $10,000 and then I transferred $100,000 of 401K to a bank. Yea me!

Anyway - it's not likely the starter motor is bad - even a cheap Chinese starter usually lives up to a year.

Ground connections can go bad when the machine is not being used. Always start with the obvious and check the battery. Put a meter across the battery terminals and check the at rest voltage, then turn the vehicle on and check the voltage drop, finally check the voltage drop when engaging the starter motor. Sometimes a battery will light the lights, but does not have the strength to close the solenoid let alone run the starter motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry you battled the plague - I myself have natural immunity and haven't missed a day of work in years. I used to work for a company that gave us 4 hours of 'sick time' for every 30 worked with no tardy's or unexcused absences. My average work week was 52 hours. When I was getting close to retirement, I had accumulated 32 days of 'sick time' and I had 9 weeks of vacation coming. So I went to a doctor who ordered me off work for 30 days under the medical leave legislation. When my medical leave was over, I went back to work, put in my two week notice, took two weeks of vacation and on my 25 year anniversary date, I still had 7 weeks of paid vacation coming. My final paycheck was almost $10,000 and then I transferred $100,000 of 401K to a bank. Yea me!

Anyway - it's not likely the starter motor is bad - even a cheap Chinese starter usually lives up to a year.

Ground connections can go bad when the machine is not being used. Always start with the obvious and check the battery. Put a meter across the battery terminals and check the at rest voltage, then turn the vehicle on and check the voltage drop, finally check the voltage drop when engaging the starter motor. Sometimes a battery will light the lights, but does not have the strength to close the solenoid let alone run the starter motor.
Quite a slick.....and great way to fade off into the sunset! Their loss as dependability like that now days.....Is, to say the least, hard to find!

So, I'm finally back at after 3 major breaks on an underground 8" irrigation line! On top of that meter took dump so, I have my battery on a charger for the day, I washed the beast last night, and after lunch I'll come back and try each of those with my brand new sparkling meter! Wish me

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quite a slick.....and great way to fade off into the sunset! Their loss as dependability like that now days.....Is, to say the least, hard to find!

So, I'm finally back at after 3 major breaks on an underground 8" irrigation line! On top of that meter took dump so, I have my battery on a charger for the day, I washed the beast last night, and after lunch I'll come back and try each of those with my brand new sparkling meter! Wish me
....luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A

Alrighty, here we go..... battery right off the charger 12.8V, key on 12.8, starting key turn 12.7...... next? Remember battery, switch and starter are all less than 6 months old.....and starter was from Polaris dealership, do they sell the cheap CHINA crap?
Oh and still a single click......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So should I take a wire and go direct from the positive on the battery to the positive post on the starter? If yes, does wire size matter as I have scraps but it's heavier gauge, also key on when I touch it, correct?

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
DOES POLARIS SELL CHEAP CHINA CRAP? YES!

JUMP THE BATTERY TO THE STARTER MOTOR WIRE WITH 10GA OR HEAVIER WIRE - IF THE STARTER MOTOR CRANKS THE ENGINE, THE SOLENOID IS FAULTY. If you want it to start, then turn the key and handlebar switch to the run positions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DOES POLARIS SELL CHEAP CHINA CRAP? YES!

JUMP THE BATTERY TO THE STARTER MOTOR WIRE WITH 10GA OR HEAVIER WIRE - IF THE STARTER MOTOR CRANKS THE ENGINE, THE SOLENOID IS FAULTY. If you want it to start, then turn the key and handlebar switch to the run positions.
Not good.....did it and nothing, so i added the wire to check the ground and still nothing....
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Trunk

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Fender Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
Then the starter motor probably needs replaced - BTW, I just got the catheter removed this morning.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts