Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
18,796 Posts
Well if that's the case, is there anyway to test the solenoid while I have the thing ripped downdown?
Yes - put a meter or test light on the starter motor wire and the other lead to the engine - energize the solenoid and if there is voltage, then the starter is the problem - if there is no voltage go from the starter motor wire to the battery neg - if there is voltage that way when the solenoid closes, then the engine has lost ground.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I took a fall this week right out of a 3 Stoogies episode....on top of a fence, slipped and came straight down, all my weight.....on my groin! Cut and every piss has been a new experience! Today's been the worse, blood clots arent easy passing.....but I figure I'm healing at least.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes - put a meter or test light on the starter motor wire and the other lead to the engine - energize the solenoid and if there is voltage, then the starter is the problem - if there is no voltage go from the starter motor wire to the battery neg - if there is voltage that way when the solenoid closes, then the engine has lost ground.
Ok I put the positive on the starter pole, and the negative on the engine, turned the key and got 0 volts......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Any tips? There are 5 wires connected and it is in a very difficult place to get at, right in front of my face but it's going to be tough getting that all back on there if I remove completely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Removed, wire brush each one as well as bolt and frame where it's mounted, inspected each wire, all look good.....one click. Positive to starter and negative to battery 12.8v.....where else could I be losing the ground?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just throwing stuff at the wall, could my negative wire from the battery be bad someway that it will carry some load but not enough, Or why else would the dash light up?

·
Administrator
18,796 Posts
The starter draws about 30 amps - the dash draws about 1/2 amp - test the ground by clamping a jumper cable on the neg post of the battery and the other end to a clean bolt or the recoil handle seat nipple or an exhaust stud and try again - if nothing, then it's probably time for a new starter motor.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts