Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 70 mile ride Sunday on my '13 850 Touring here in the Colorado Rocky Mtn's. After the ride my right hand took on the pins and needles feeling. It took almost 24 hours for it to finally go away. I'm 38 years old so age shouldn't be much issue.

Has anyone else had this happen? Its a first for me and I've been riding for decades. My Polaris has power steering, but I'm wondering if I need a shock and vibe set up for the handlebars. At minimum I'm going to buy some Oury grips for more cushion.

Anybody added in a Precision shock and vibe set up? Were you able to keep the headlight/dash cluster in normal function?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Generally that feeling is from hand position, and unfortunatly it is something you'll have to play with until you find the sweat spot.

When I rode motorcycle I found the best way help determine what the best hand positon, was to sit on the seat... close your eyes... and extend your hands to what felt comforitable. Than open your eyes, visualize the position and try to adjust accordingly!

I'd start with loosening and adjusting the throttle housing... than look at adjusting the bar pitch/angle, (up-down / forward/back... whatever you want to call it!!) to reach a better position. I've always seemed to find (for me) having the top of my hand and arm level, so there are no bends in my wrist to allow for best blood flow. Side to side angle would need to be addressed with different bars and pull back angles. So, if the available adjustments fail you.... it may require a different set of bars, ect. and possibly more help from a pro or dealer.

Another thought may be to get a throttle extender... or even something as simple as different (more cushion -as you mentioned) hand grips.

But I'd first start with the cheap or free adjustments to see if anything helps. At least this way you know if your on the right track, before spending good money to get more comforitable!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Absolutely! This is NOT a machine issue its a personal one. Sorry bud its you! Age has no bearing. You are riding in a position that your body don't like! The fact that it remained so long after riding tells its not likely blood Flo its more likely nerve issues. Something is pinched or pinching in your neck or shoulders likely.

Make an appointment with your dr or next time you do talk about it with him.

Sure the bike is exasorbating the problem but its your body where the problem is. Adj your position or the handle bars could help.

Trust me when I say this, been there done that a couple times! I have three bad vert two compressed and one extended, in my neck, two mid thorasic and five in my
Lower back. I have one herniated, anotger one burst and cracked in my back from car accident in 2003. Double carpel tunnel surgery and ulnar nerve relocate left arm. From same accident.
MOST OF THAT was done in my late 20's to late 30's. Now at nearly 50 I get to "reap the benifits" ;). Pain lets you know your allive, it ain't going away (pills AINT the answer) so you might as well learn to embrace it!

Good luck brother!

CA

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To the above two responses. Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought of it from those angles. I was purely thinking that it was machine impact and subtle vibration related. I ride hard and fast. Probably more than this machine should endure. Therefore, the machine needed a better setup.

I have my share of body damage from downhill mountain biking at the resorts. Plus when I picked up my new Polaris the bar pivot was really low and back, so I rotated way forward. I'm 6'3" and needed that change. Perhaps I rotated too far forward which raises the bar ends beyond parallel creating a pressure point.

I will look into all of this as its excellent advice!
Thank you fellow riders, ~Erik

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pins and needles can indicate a lack of blood flow to the area resulting in nerve damage. The damage can be mild (fixed as soon as blood flow returns) to medium (takes a while but full feeling returns) to severe (full feeling my never return).

Do you have low blood pressure? Sometimes extended arm raising above the heart can result in lack of blood flow to an extremity. If your hand is higher than your heart for the majority of the time during your ride then you may not be getting blood flow completely to the hand.

When not on the throttle, drop your right hand to your side. See if it helps.

Edited: I took the height question away since you already said 6'3".

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
That's a hell of a ride for Colorado. You had to take a beating because there just aren't any smooth trails around here. Hence the name, Rocky Mountains. :) I would guess you were riding pretty much all day to cover that much ground. When we go for long rides, I make sure we stop many times a day to get off and take a break and stretch our arms, hands and legs. Most of the trails don't give you many opportunities to relax while you are riding. Also, if you are wearing a water pack or back pack of some sort, be sure the shoulder straps aren't too tight going under your arms. I've had mine cause my hand and/or fingers to go numb from being to tight when reaching out to the bars.
Don't let these guys fool you. 38 ain't old............:veryhappy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
You could also be holding on to hard which causes this. When I was racing off road I had to constantly tell myself to not grip and get 'arm pump'. Relaxing helps alot

·
9,470 Posts
LOL...Like Bob said, they don't call'em the ROCKY Mountains for nothing. My throttle thumb is still numb on the end from 2 weeks and almost 700 miles in Taylor Park and Crested Butte. That was 3 weeks ago so I guess I'll have to learn to live with it.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Throttle thumb!! LOL. Bothers some while others not hardly. I am glad to be in the later category.
For me I think its just I have grown accustom to minor body aches. I do down play and do not mean to belittle anyone for hurting. (I also do t mean to come off as a macho man)

I work with a bunch of tough guys and it rubs off I guess. Ours is a seven man crew, we have three with previously broken backs one with a pinned spine. Broken hips various dislocations. One guy spent seven days in a coma as a result of one "exercise". All of us has had major surgeries or bones broken, one guy had spinal fusion and another two complete knee replacement s and yet a other with total ankle replacements! Heck, four of us have been shot! ::) LOL

We hired a new guy about a year back, 32/34 years I think. He had been reg army electrician now. Complained about back, knees hands... Fell on deaf ears around here. One day the topic came up about pain and how to deal with it. THEN he discovered the "caliber" of guys he was working with... To his credit he does not complain one bit about pain.

Nerve damage is very slow to heal so tends to stay with you for a spell. Hopefully some simple handle bar adjustments will do it for you...

CW

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Ours is a seven man crew, we have three with previously broken backs one with a pinned spine. Broken hips various dislocations. One guy spent seven days in a coma as a result of one "exersize". All of us has had major surgeries or bones broken, one guy had spinal fusion and another two complete knee replalceme ts and yet a other with total ancle replacements! Heck, four of us have been shot! ::) LOL
I don't believe I want to be a part of your crew........:lmao:

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ours is a seven man crew, we have three with previously broken backs one with a pinned spine. Broken hips various dislocations. One guy spent seven days in a coma as a result of one "exercise". All of us has had major surgeries or bones broken, one guy had spinal fusion and another two complete knee replacements and yet a other with total ankle replacements! Heck, four of us have been shot! ::) LOL
I don't believe I want to be a part of your crew........:lmao:
Come on Bob... I can't even tell you some of the fun we have...:veryhappy::veryhappy::veryhappy:

CW

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a hell of a ride for Colorado. You had to take a beating because there just aren't any smooth trails around here. Hence the name, Rocky Mountains. :) I would guess you were riding pretty much all day to cover that much ground. When we go for long rides, I make sure we stop many times a day to get off and take a break and stretch our arms, hands and legs. Most of the trails don't give you many opportunities to relax while you are riding. Also, if you are wearing a water pack or back pack of some sort, be sure the shoulder straps aren't too tight going under your arms. I've had mine cause my hand and/or fingers to go numb from being to tight when reaching out to the bars.
Don't let these guys fool you. 38 ain't old............:veryhappy:
Ya, it was an all day trek. The most I had ever done before was 50 miles. That was on a 700xx and we did stop more due to being in a group. When me and my buddy got back to the truck we were exhausted. By the time we loaded up and made it to the Potbelly bar my right arm was pulsating and my hand got bad.

I'm anxious to play with adjustments for comfort. I am thinking that I will put the bars in whatever position is most comfortable and decide from there if they need to be higher or further away. If so, I was thinking I could by a Rox riser and use it to adjust height and reach without changing bar position.

This seems like a good approach. Anyone ran those bar risers on a utility quad? I know the sport guys do it lots.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/218/1316/-/27406/Rox-Speed-FX-2"-Handlebar-Risers?term=handlebar risers

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Good idea! The height will likely do the most for you.

My buddie has problems with tingling on his Harley, Its a Ultra Classic, very plush ride. Yes NOTHING bouncing around the mountains of Maine, on his 850HO. GO FIGURE!!!

CW

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Guys
I had the same issue when riding over long distances.. No EPS on my 800 touring..I tried a good set of The Tool That Fits Like a Glove® gloves with lots of padding in the palms.. I'm sure you guys can get them at a local auto parts stores..Worked wonders..

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
One thing I find that does help some providing bars are adjusted correct. But I love a good set of atv gloves. There made for your throttle thumb as well as padding in different areas.

But I will agree 70 miles in the rockies is a lot to do in a day. Should have several stops stretch and walk about awhile. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts