Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was plowing snow with my 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 it began to overheat. I also noticed the AWD light on the right handle bar was no longer light and my electric winch stopped working.

I turned off the ATV and let it cool off. After about an hour I started it back up. The winch worked, the AWD light was back on and I let it run long enough to hear the fan kick on. I continued plowing and never had the problem again.

Any one have any clue what may have failed ? I was thinking one of the auto resetting fuses but not sure which one.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hard telling, with the snow and cold??
I think on yours, it just has one circuit breaker and it under the seat wiring.
I'd check the ground connections, frame to ground, ground to engine.
Do you have anything hanging off of your ignition key? Half on, it might still run but kill the electrics,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The ATV continued to run. I have nothing hanging off the key. The only thing that is new is I replaced my old superwinch with a bad lands 2000lbs winch. The new whinch uses a low voltage switch. I used a volt meter and pluged it into a spade on the upper right side labeled red/white if your facing the ATV. When I turn the key and place switch in run position I get 12v but once I start it I see like 25V.

Maybe I have switch wired in a bad spot. Is there a spot that is supposed to be for low voltage winch switch ?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You might try splicing into the red/black striped wire off of the key switch. It will be hot only when key is on.
I looked in my manual about your wiring and they used 3 sets of red-white wires
1 for cdi, 1 for fan,1 for brake switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked tonight. I have it on one of the spades labeled Red/White. I went to put it on the section labeled Red/Black but there were only 2 spades there. I will get a male to 2 female spade adapter and try that. Thanks for the information. I'm not great at reading the wiring diagrams.

·
Premium Member
11,396 Posts
brother im not familiar with ur bike but by ur voltage readings it sounds like u have two 12V feeds in series yielding 25V. that 25V is going to trip the over current device. if the power came back on after a cool off period I would assume that the resetting overcurrent protection (fused or breaker) reset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to have to double check. I bought the ATV new in 1998 and aside from this new winch there is no other add on electrical devices.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Battery was getting low from running the winch, the charging system on the older machines doesn't keep up with heavy winch use, I put my 425 on the charge when im done plowing, have had it act up while plowing, usually a run around the block will charge it up enough to finish, then a good charging after.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts