Polaris ATV Forum banner

OEM Hardware worth it?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  EJM 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have to order bolt, washer and lock nut. To put back together my fender. When I removed the old ones they were not in great condition, so I scrapped them not thinking it would be much for hardware. I went to order and they are pricey. Must take 10 per pack. bolt 3.19each washer 1.19 each nut 3.59 each total damage: $80.00

I was thinking of ordering Carbon Steel, Black Oxide Finish from amazon. Am I being cheap and this will not work or do you think this is the same as the OEM. They are Black Oxide, so it will help with the rust. I don't think the OEM hardware is stainless steel with a black finish, but it would makes sense at these prices.

Here is the link to amazon... Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C6J6FXF/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2BPIUS9TNF8L5&psc=1

#2 ·
I only use OEM fasteners when they are not readily available in the aftermarket (ie. long A-Arm pivot bolts). I tend to replace suspension fasteners and other critical fasteners with grade 8 plated ones and stainless everywhere else.

Mark

#3 ·
if it was stainless I wouldn't mind paying extra, but the ones I took off had some rust on it, so I am assuming they are just Black Oxide. Like the ones I am thinking about ordering. This just holds up the fender. I would go only OEM as well if it was anything with suspension. Any one know what these OEM fasteners are made of, is it just black oxide?

Here are the Polaris part numbers

Bolt: 0452215
Nut: 0450741
washer: 0450710

#6 ·
Doesn’t matter what make, OEM is always proud of their parts. Which are really no different than you can get from a hardware store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I only use OEM when my OCD kicks in.:atom:. On my rebuild I ordered some fasteners because I couldn't get to/get off the OEM. So instead of mixing hardware I HAD to order OEM. Or change out all the OEM to match the new hardware. Yes I know I know!! The sad part is these are the things that keep me awake at night, lol.

#9 ·
Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.