Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI Touring. Last weekend I go out to start it and all I get is click click click. Battery is putting out nearly 14 volts. Voltage regulator is newish, and I think working fine. I have determined it is the starter. I will pull it to bench test, but even banging on it with a hammer does nothing. Pull starts just fine. I'm fairly confident in the diagnosis of a dead starter.

Call the local Polaris shop... $350 for an OEM Polaris starter. :wtf:?? I can buy a starter for a 7.4L diesel cheaper than that! Look on eBay, and they're anywhere from $35 to $100. How can there be THAT huge of a gap?? It can't be that it's because the Polaris one is Made in USA, and the eBay ones are from over the pond. That would be ridiculous, right? (Sarcasm)

Does anyone know if there is enough of a difference to spend $300 more on the OEM vs aftermarket? I've read that people have good enough luck with the DB Electrical on eBay.... found theirs for $55.

What a racket.

Don't even get me started on the PITA it is to even get TO the starter, let alone remove it. I'm bound and determined to do it WITHOUT pulling the primary. That may be wishful thinking.

Should I do the gear reduction too?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
The starter removal won't be fun. Although I haven't needed to replace mine yet...good luck. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've used several parts that aren't labled polaris from ebay, amazon, fix my toys, dirtcheapatvparts and have always had success and those parts keep working. The parts were starter switches, brake master cyclinders, fan motors, fuel pumps and my favorite, the nylon fender clips (amazon sells 100 for $9.99 vs. polaris sells one (1) for $4.95, geeezzzz!!!

Luck and enjoy the savings! :cowboy:

·
10,595 Posts
The reason OEM parts are so much more expensive is easy to see. Its printed right on the package. It says P O L A R I S.
Apparently that packaging and printing is very costly and requires at least a 500% markup.:kopfkratz:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You prove them eBay parts are just as good as the Polaris originals.
I am willing to bet they are knock off parts from China or some place over seas.
A 50/100 starter is NOT going to be the same as a 300 dollar Polaris starter.
Just do some research.
Just remember the old saying, "you get what you pay for"
I'm not saying buy Polaris, just make sure it is the same, chances are it is NOT.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I am willing to bet they are knock off parts from China or some place over seas.
Just do some research.
I'm not saying buy Polaris, just make sure it is the same, chances are it is NOT.
^^^lol funny stuff!^^^^

You think everything on your polaris is made in the USA? You think nothing on your polaris is from China?
Think again!
Everything goes to the lowest bidder that meets the minimum quality specs.
If the $350 polaris starter is so much better how come his is not working? Shouldn't a $350 starter last forever?

OP buy the eBay starter.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You think everything on your polaris is made in the USA?
No, where did I say it was?
You think nothing on your polaris is from China?
Many things are.
Shouldn't a $350 starter last forever?
I knew you were 12 years old, this just proves it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The DB or Caltric will be good enough. I got my friends dad a Caltric starter for his Grizzly off Amazon for cheap and it has been going for over a year with daily usage on his cattle farm.

The old saying "you get what you pay for" of the old days doesn't hold as much clout as it used to. Polaris is out to make the maximum amount of money off of every part they sell.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
My advice, buy two. Calttic is china crap, so make sure you have the tools to change it on the quad.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
You think everything on your polaris is made in the USA?
No, where did I say it was?
You think nothing on your polaris is from China?
Many things are.
Shouldn't a $350 starter last forever?
I knew you were 12 years old, this just proves it.
When you have as many years riding/ fixing atv's as me then you can give advise like you know what you're talking about. Saying the $30/ $100 starters are inferior is foolish.
It's a hit and miss. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't. For that price difference it's worth the try.
I bring mine to a local guy. He can usually repair them on the cheap.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
When you have as many years riding/ fixing atv's as me then you can give advise like you know what you're talking about.
Holly crap, I've just been schooled LOLOLOLOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Let me add to what I should of said in post number 11, I was just schooled by some one half my age :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. I wasn't expecting my thread to pull more ego checks than actual answers to my OP question.

I pulled the starter tonight and bench tested it.... it spins, although it doesn't rip - I just don't know what it's supposed to run like. Seems sort of weak to me.

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
843 Posts
You can remove the starter with clutches on machine still,I pull the belt intake tube off and Slightly "flex" the inner clutch cover to get access at the two ten mm bolts and remove airbox as for the starter you can get a rebuild kit for about 50 buks,

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just do some research.
I have a 1048 buys on e bay. One bad experience and I bought it used. That auction was under 20 dollars.

Tell you a little story about how things are done.
Back in the 80s I pulled produce out of Calif to east coast.
I did the west coast thing instead of Fla north.

There adds that are still on TV selling Fla orange juice.
Calf was losing their ass trying to compete with Fla and there a lot more groves in Calif than there are on the east coast.
Care to guess how they fixed it.

They put Calif orange juice in tankers, the Govn would not allow them to advertise they were selling Fla orange juice so they trucked Calif juice to Fla, turned around at the state line took it back to Calif.

Next time you hear a advertizement on TV for orange juice listen very carefully if its Fla Orange juice or Orange Juice FROM Fla. That little working means a lot.

Same on OEM stuff. You would be amazed at how many parts the orginial dealers sell that come from NAPA, and other vendors only put in a OEM bag and sold for original parts.

One more little Rut Ro........
Chevy trucks. Made in America right?

Those 4 on my truck I picked up off the port of Dundock in Baltimore MD.
Made over seas. What part of OEM do you think those chevys have in them.

Welcome to my world. :)

And thats my new Dodge. Made all over the place but I don't care. Its PUDDY...........LOL

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Isn't the Dodge made/assembled in Mexico?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Isn't the Dodge made/assembled in Mexico?
There actually 4 places that put dodge together. Have a cummins manufacturer right in Rocky Mount NC and my transmission in my Dodge is a Asian transmission.

Remember the Johnnie Cash song, One peace at a time. :drive:

Honestly there so many parts on everything being made in all different directions when you say OEM, just think of it as being over the counter from a dealer is the reason your paying so much. Ain't no telling in the world where he got it from. Think about it. If most of the parts are made in Mexico and you need one part with OEM on it where were we just talking about it being made at.........

Rest my case. :)

Now for the funny part. I bet you a dollar for the rest of your life now you never miss that working on that orange juice add either..........LOL

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Have you checked the solenoid? The only thing I did when I replaced the starter on a friend's Scrambler was get one from a company I have heard of. I have seen the ebay units, but never had any dealing with them. I have used Rick's Motorsports parts for other electrical stuff. I ended up with a Moose brand on the Scrambler. Probably made somewhere else and put in a box with Moose written on it. A bit more expensive than the Ebay units, but still a lot cheaper than Polaris. I have found that Polaris is VERY proud of their parts. Rebuild starter parts were over $200 from Polaris. No different than Harley, John Deere, Chevy, Ford, Dodge and so on. Nothing new....When I worked in a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership back in the late 70s, the joke always was that there was no way you could build a car with the price of the individual parts for what the list price was. It takes about $20,000 worth of parts to build a $10,000 car.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have changed a pile of starters in my days. My experience is that the OEM ones may last a bit longer than the aftermarket but no where near long enough to justify 3-4x the cost. I buy from DB electrical and always buy a few so I have one to change out while I rebuild the one that failed. 90% of the time the brushes fail and they can be rebuilt. I always have a kit or two to rebuild with. No matter how sealed they ALL allow water into them in the end.

There are many parts that are much cheaper at other places and often better. Take U joints for the prop shafts of the 500's. Polaris $60 or so and sealed. Napa 338 $22 and regreaseable. Please don't tell me that Polaris is better than the SKF ones or the Moog ones that I used. Polaris and all other companies make tons of money selling parts. Sometimes you just have to pay them, but my experience is there is often a cheaper and/or a better quality replacement if you are willing to look.

To the OP: The starter should spin like crazy fast. If it isn't then you likely have an issue in the wraps or magnets have come loose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts