Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be using my used but new to me Sportsman mainly during October-January hunting season. Are there any low usage or off season maintenance suggestions that any of you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

4W

·
Registered
48 Posts
Change motor oil and filter ,
Transmission fluid
Clean air box new filter if needed
Look It all over replace any worn looking parts.
Maybe change differential fluid.
Basics
Jer

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Change front diff fluid, transaxle fluid, and motor oil + filter. Change the air filter. Grease the fittings. That would be a start.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, heard about disconnecting battery and making sure the tank is dry since gas these days has so many additives. Thoughts?

Any of you use a gas stablizer?

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
Putting a battery maintainer on is a good idea. I use a fuel stabilizer and ethonal treatment like Lucas, sta-bil, AMSOIL hotshot, or star-tron.

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Seafoam also works.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
... Are there any low usage or off season maintenance suggestions that any of you would recommend?
I recommend finding a way to keep riding it - that is the Best maintenance for it and You! Then download the maintenance guide for your MY off the polo site and follow that (ETC, drive belt, cooling system, valve clearances). Grease is your pal on a quad - lots of expensive parts to replace if not lubed regularly (front prop shaft yoke). Oh yeah and run startron on all your engines: http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

Where in little ol' Tejas is the quad? Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
147 Posts
IMo if you are confident with a wrench, I like to pull the belt cover and clean and inspect that and also pull the wheels off and all the a-arm bushings ect and clean and lube all that up as well as air filter service and check the break pads out ....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks guys, heard about disconnecting battery and making sure the tank is dry since gas these days has so many additives. Thoughts?

Any of you use a gas stablizer?
Instead of bothering disconnecting the battery every time, just get yourself a battery tender that is what I did and I leave it on all the time. Also, on the fuel stabilizer, kill 2 birds with one stone and treat your tank with Seafoam, not only does it stabilize but every time you run your machine you're doing yourself a service by keeping the fuel system clean too. Plus whatever you have leftover you can use on any other vehicle however you feel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the feedback. Making arrangements to keep it close so I can ride it periodically I like that idea since it's such a blast. Rig is in Throckmorton county right now but home is in Arlington. After a little work at the lease this next week bringing it back to DFW to store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts