Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Interesting that they downgrade you to a 40 weight. Do they not have a 50w?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently not.. I've been using the 0W-40 in my 700 for more years than I can remember with no issues so I will cut the 550 over as well with next oil change.

·
Registered
52 Posts
oil

I stopped by my local Amsoil store the other day to price Ow40 weight oil and the man asked me if it was for a quad and not thinking I said yes. He said $11.50 a quart. What a bummer.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I stopped by my local Amsoil store the other day to price Ow40 weight oil and the man asked me if it was for a quad and not thinking I said yes. He said $11.50 a quart. What a bummer.
$14+ up here, which is why I stick to the recommended grade of 5W50. Get that for $10/L, but another brand.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The data from that article was collected in 2003...... 10+ years ago. Still true or accurate? Maybe, but probably not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Do the amsoil products mentioned have the appropriate API or GL certifications?

I've run into this problem with some of their car products. I will not buy uncertified oils, because then I'm just going by the word of the company and hear say of other people!
I'm not saying non-certified amsoil products aren't great...I'm just saying I won't use them if they aren't certified!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ good point! i am starting to look into alternative fluids as i will be changing mine in a month or so for the first time.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Looks like Avon Oil reccomends ATF for the front differential. I have been running it for years. I am just not keen on running oil that they don't put on store shelves. If it is good enough for your quad, car, bike or whatever why isn't it on store shelves. I know someone is going to say it is all in how they market the product. I want something where I can go and touch the bottle.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't go by their extended intervals in cars but I do change every year. One vehicle is still under warranty so I don't go past 6 months or 7500 miles changing that one. The longest interval on one car was about 12k miles. Oil analysis always comes back good.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Looks like Avon Oil reccomends ATF for the front differential. I have been running it for years. I am just not keen on running oil that they don't put on store shelves. If it is good enough for your quad, car, bike or whatever why isn't it on store shelves. I know someone is going to say it is all in how they market the product. I want something where I can go and touch the bottle.

Ronnie
I am the same way. If i have to go down a dark alley, and crawl under a bridge, i will not buy it.

And I second not buying uncertified oils.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do the amsoil products mentioned have the appropriate API or GL certifications?

I've run into this problem with some of their car products. I will not buy uncertified oils, because then I'm just going by the word of the company and hear say of other people!
I'm not saying non-certified amsoil products aren't great...I'm just saying I won't use them if they aren't certified!
This is what it says here.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1713.pdf

API SL/CF, SJ, SH, SG JASO MA/MA2 ISO-L-EMA2

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once and a while I will see some smaller stores carry it. Just some options guys. Whatever works for you... Not trying to make you drink the punch. :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
For what it's worth, Amsoil is sold at my local Polaris dealer and recommended by them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Once and a while I will see some smaller stores carry it. Just some options guys. Whatever works for you... Not trying to make you drink the punch. :)
And I wasn't trying to bash your thread at all. I actually would try it now that it appears that they have the API certification.

Thanks for the information!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts