Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Wondering if you all could help me make up my mind on what tires and rims to buy.. Every time I think I figure it out, I find a reason to change my mind.. Who knew this would be so hard..

Ok so here's my choices, in order of preference

Reptiles
Swamp lites
Black diamond xtr
Traxion Radical
Mud lite xtr

Delta steel rims (black)

Im looking at radials for the ride and durability
I ride trails, fields, sand, limestone and do come to water (creek/rock/swamp) crossings as well as mudholes..

Winter is coming up so ill need the tires to preform well in snow/ice and transferring into spring thaw / mud, then hard pack in the summer..

Most of the guys around here ride with big horns or mudlites,
I like to be different then most and would pefer to go with any but the above.. So any help is appericated..

Also what size should I get..
Im running a 2013 sportsman 500 H.O. Polaris Pursuit LE with kenda k590 25x8x12f and 25x11x12r
Id prefer to stay stock as possible, but not opposed to adding a clutch kit

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing some replies..

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't comment on size.
I have run swamp lites, Mudlites, Mudlite XTR's and Bighorns on various machines I have owned.

As far as which type for you, given the broad range of terrain you will be riding...I suggest Mudlite XTR's. I had 26' XTR's on a Honda Rubicon, they robbed a little bit of power, but no too much. They get good traction in all the terrain I have ever ridden in. Rocky parts of East TN, creeks, mud, hard packed trails, loose stuff. They seemed to do everything fairly well...I can't say how they do in snow, because we dont get over about an inch a couple times a year. They also hold up really well, especially considering they are fairly aggressive. They ride a little bit rougher than Bighorns, but still rode a lot better than the stock tires from Honda.

Swamplites were okay, but wore out a little to quick for my liking.

·
Super Moderator
7,059 Posts
There is probably a reason "Most of the guys around here ride with big horns or mudlites". That typically means that those tires work best for where they ride. If you really feel the need to be different, then step up to some Pitbull Rockers or Growlers and really stand out in the crowd. They will out perform any tire you have listed.
Whatever you decide, don't make the mistake of changing to 14" wheels and tires. Stick with your 12's.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There is probably a reason "Most of the guys around here ride with big horns or mudlites". That typically means that those tires work best for where they ride. If you really feel the need to be different, then step up to some Pitbull Rockers or Growlers and really stand out in the crowd. They will out perform any tire you have listed.
Whatever you decide, don't make the mistake of changing to 14" wheels and tires. Stick with your 12's.
Bob, What's the story with the pitbull tires? Not saying they aren't great, I just haven't heard of them and don't really know anything about them.

Maybe I should consider them when I replace these crappy stockers...Give me the scoop please.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Most of the guys around here ride with big horns or mudlites".
That typically means that those tires work best for where they ride.
No I don't think so, think they were thrown in on their bikes deals..
Most actually use stock tires or whatever came with their bikes..

I appreciate the replies.. for the pit bulls tires, would it be best to stay the same size 25x8x12f and 25x11x12r?

·
Super Moderator
7,059 Posts
Bob, What's the story with the pitbull tires? Not saying they aren't great, I just haven't heard of them and don't really know anything about them.

Maybe I should consider them when I replace these crappy stockers...Give me the scoop please.
If you read through this link :: PIT BULL TIRES :: ROCKER® ATV/UTV - XOR TM pretty much all they say about them is true. On the slick rock of Moab is the only place where they don't out perform every other tire. The big draw back is that they are damned expensive. Kick ass tires, but you pay for them.

·
Super Moderator
7,059 Posts
"Most of the guys around here ride with big horns or mudlites".
That typically means that those tires work best for where they ride.
No I don't think so, think they were thrown in on their bikes deals..
Most actually use stock tires or whatever came with their bikes..

I appreciate the replies.. for the pit bulls tires, would it be best to stay the same size 25x8x12f and 25x11x12r?
For your 500 I would have to say yes. Stay close to the same size.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've got BD XTR's on my Grizzly 660 and they are a heck of a tire for every terrain I've ridden including light mud. Excellent mud clearing. HD1 rims. No EPS.

They run really small, you'd probably want 26's. They are also heavy and steer heavy at very slow speeds due to the super aggressive cleats. (probably you will find this with many of the super aggressive tires like the Pitbulls too.) Ideal if you have eps. Seem to wear well and I have run them about 400 miles of tough terrain at 3.5# all around without any bead or tire damage problems.

I have Zillas on my 550xp, also a good all around tire except on paved roads. My XTR's replaced mud lites that wore fairly quickly, but had good traction and steered considerably easier at slow speeds without eps.

Just some more confusion for you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I love my Pit Bull Rockers! My Dad's honda has a set of BD ATR tires and those are a great all terrain tire too. Despite the Rockers being a very heavy tire I haven't had an issue with my stock clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts