Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello yall,
I just inherited a 2000 sportsman 500. It only has 550 miles and is clean. Since I did inherit it, i have no clue where to start with maintenance and such. I was wondering where the best place/site to purchase oil from is and what kind. Also what brand of air filter is best. Other than that I have already topped off the coolant level and brake fluid. Anything else I am missing? Also lastly I notice a plastic tube hanging out of the bottom of the quad...? I wasnt sure if it was some sort of spitter or over flow for something?
Any help or input would be GREAT since I am pretty much clueless to how to do all the maintenance that is needed for my beauty.
THANK YOU
Scott N.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Use Mobil 1 0w40 synthethic oil. It takes 2 qts. Filter is 85358 Carquest,1358 NAPA,51358 WIX. Hose is a vent from carb,trans,or battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome thank you tt425! are there any other fluids i should be checking or changing regularly?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Since you just got it, you should change all the fluids so you know it's been serviced and has the right stuff.

Front hubs: demand drive
Frond diff: angle drive
Engine: 2 qts PS4 or mobil 1 0w-40, Bosch 3323 filter (the oil is about $20 for a 5qt jug at walmart, the filter is about $6 at auto zone)
Gearcase: AGL

A wix no-toil air filter is about $20 at oreillys. I don't have the part number, but it's easy to look up on the wix website.

As far as service interval, annually should be fine for you, unless you ride in very dirty, dusty, muddy conditions, or if you take it swimming.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
As Razorback stated change all fluids annually, or more often depending on the conditions you ride in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts