Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting ready to do the first oil change and was wondering what the oil alternatives to Polaris oil would be, and also what aftermarket oil filters that could be used, and part numbers if someone knows them...thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I use Mobile 1 0W40 and a Pure One filter. You can use either the 14612 or 14610 filter. The only difference is one is shorter than the other. I use the short one on both my XP and X2. You can buy everything at Wal Mart if you have one close by.

Ronnie

·
Registered
218 Posts
So does everyone actually drain the base too. I hear some people do and some don't.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Polaris Oil Filter Cross-Reference - MudInMyBlood Forums

Filter list, as for oil, what ever synthetic you can get. I found some royal purple 0-40 for 105$ a case on ebay. Works out to 8.75/qt and in town most oil is 12-15/qt.
The polaris oil change kits are nice and convenient but are pricey for those of us who ride a lot and like to change oil frequently.

·
Registered
805 Posts
So does everyone actually drain the base too. I hear some people do and some don't.
I drain the engine and check the screen once a year. All changes in between I only do the tank. There is less than a cup in there and I change my oil often enough that it never really gets dirty. If your the type to run your oil for long time and let it get really bad then yes, I would drain it to get all the dirty oil and possible sludge out.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use Mobile 1 0W40 and a Pure One filter. You can use either the 14612 or 14610 filter. The only difference is one is shorter than the other. I use the short one on both my XP and X2. You can buy everything at Wal Mart if you have one close by.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie and all the rest that replied. I do have a Wal Mart about ten miles away so I'll check it out and see if they have the number oil filter you described. This is my first Polaris so I need to learn the money saving tricks...Thanks all

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Polaris recommended oil now is a 5w50, so if you find something in that range it would work as well as the 0w40 IMO.
Thanks Ridinagain

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What do you mean by draining the base etc?
Pretty sure he meant "case", as in crank case. The 500 is a dry sump engine. That means it has an external oil tank and pumps oil out of the engine and into the external oil tank, faster than it pumps oil into the engine. This leaves just a few ounces of oil in the crank case. Some drain it during an oil change, some don't.

Sean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts