Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Got this ATV about a month ago and have only ridden it around the yard a few times. I'm going on a two day trail ride this coming weekend and want to change the oil in it. I got a Manual but I was reading the oil change section and it said to Drain the Resivor first then take off the Banjo bolt then drain the crank case then the oil filter...

My biggest question is does anyone take the banjo bolt out and clean it when changing the oil? or do your just drian the resivor tank and the crank case and replace the filter?

I got a polaris oil filter for it at my local dealership and they ordered me my service Manual. in the manual they say to use Polaris Premium 4 Synthetic 10W/40... Can I just use Mobil one or Castrol 10w/40 instead of the Polaris Oil?

Any help would be great this is my first ATV and I want to treat it right. The older guy who I got it from bought it new in 2002 and only put 275 Miles and about 75 hours on it. So its like brand new and he had all the work done at the local polaris dealer here in town.

Thanks again,
Nick

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
This site is almost 1 year old, I think it started Nov. of last year. So it's come along way and the more that use it, the better it'll get I'm thinking!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Bud Man,
It's not a big deal to take the banjo bolt off, there is a filter screen on the end of it that you should clean while you are changing the oil. Make sure that when you reinstall the banjo bolt assembly you reinstall the brass o-rings on each side of the oil line housing the banjo bolt goes through otherwise you could have a leak.
Good luck,
Bruce960

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont even worry about the banjo bolt and the filter screen,screen never gets plugged up anyway,oil filter takes care of that. Just make sure you drain the crankcase after you drain the oil resivour as their is a cup or so of dirty oil left in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts