Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm writing from Costa Rica, and want to know how should I clean the screen fitting from the oil tank when performing an oil change, what kind of dirt would I've to expect.
I'm tying to do this oil change because when checking to oil level found more than the upper mark, what happen with this I don't know.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Oil screen cleaning

You could clean it with brake cleaner, carb cleaner, naptha or plain gasoline. Mine comes out really clean with nothing on it at all, so i sometimes skip once between oil changes. Remember this important point though, if you remove the oil delivery hose on the oil tank to clean the screen you MUST prime the oil pump after adding your fresh oil. You prime it by clamping the oil out line at the top of the same tank about 2 inches from the tank. Clamp and start your engine for 10-20 seconds and shut down, you should hear a slight rush or whisp of air, if you don't do this again. You'll know its done if you clamp again and start then see the hose getting pressurized, IMMEDIATELY release the clamp. The higher oil level usually is caused by water condensing in the oil tank from short drives and temperature changes between day/night. So i would change your oil, it probably has some extra water in it you don't really want there. Good Luck! :cowboy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the instructions jgue498, I'll try to do it myself for the first time, because I've been riding the latest weekends into much mud, water ponds and high hills.
WilliamBos it's a 2013, but don't want to take it into a dealership for the travel and expensive cost. I got a manual but it isn't that clear

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yeah its EZ and you'll save lots of bucks! There are many utube vids on how to change the various fluids, pretty much all sportsmans from about 2000 on are nearly the same as far as fluids changes (except maybe hubs?). Just look up your model year/model and you'll have many choices. After you've seen the vids a few times when you do it its as if you've already done it and is simple!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the screen. I have never heard of one being dirty and I have never checked one on any of my 500's I have owned.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Oil screen clean out?

I tend to agree. I cleaned my Only because it was the first time i changed the oil on this quad even though it had low hours it was 4 yrs old and had at most had one oil change in that time, so i was still a little concerned. As you stated, the filter was clean as a whistle. I won't check it for several changes now that i know its all good and it saves the crazy task of priming! The magnetic plug from the oil tank did have a little residue that could easily be cleaned off. Awesome how polaris puts a magnetic plug in them from the start! :werd:

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do I cange my oil on my 2001 polaris sprotsman 90?

Hi I need steps on How to cange my oil on my 2001 polaris sprotsman 90.
What do I need to bye? What type of filter and what is the best oil to put in it?
Any reply would be much appreciated thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts