Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to read almost two months in forums to decide which fluids to use in my recent bought pre-owned 2003 Sporstman 500 (that looks and feels like new) if I can’t have the original fluids from Polaris or the amsoil (believe in my country we have only autozone with car oils available) products and finally I am almost positive that :
- I can use Castrol EDGE 5w-50 in the motor because doesn’t have an internal “wet clutch “ Am I right?
- I can use and Castrol EDGE 5w-50 in the transmission too because a lot of people has been using it without problems an getting better results than with original AGL plus.
- I must use a 80-90 Gear lube taking care that is GL-5 in the front diff.
- I must use the original Demmand Drive Plus in the hubs and if this is not possible to find it then I can use Castrol EDGE 5w-50.

Please the final word in all this thread. Am I right or not?

And, if not, then why everybody post without enough knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Let's not get too excited about OIL, today's oil's are far superior to even what was available 10 yrs ago, buying expensive overpriced "gimmick" oil is a waste of $$$$, best advice, change your oil's regularly, and I'm a ASE Master Tech and a Ford Senior Master Tech
Your 500 is a bulletproof engine, just use what you can afford and change it twice a year.
I use Cheap Ford Type F in the front hub's, use can use any "light" oil, believe me those hub's work with motor oil just fine, i've seen heavy gear oil in them and grease packed and the hillaird works fine

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Let's not get too excited about OIL, today's oil's are far superior to even what was available 10 yrs ago, buying expensive overpriced "gimmick" oil is a waste of $$$$, best advice, change your oil's regularly, and I'm a ASE Master Tech and a Ford Senior Master Tech
Your 500 is a bulletproof engine, just use what you can afford and change it twice a year.
I use Cheap Ford Type F in the front hub's, use can use any "light" oil, believe me those hub's work with motor oil just fine, i've seen heavy gear oil in them and grease packed and the hillaird works fine

Check out this site and see what cheap oils can get you.. The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

API Engine Oil Classification
DEVILS IN DISGUISE

Knowing What Motor Oils Not to Use

By Thomas F. Glenn

This is not a story about what motor oil to use in your car, there is plenty written about that and most end with some version of "always consult your owner's manual to determine what motor oil you should use." Instead, this story is about oils in the market that can harm your engine, and to provide guidance on what consumers can do to recognize and avoid them.

Unfortunately, it's relatively easy to find motor oils on the shelves at convenience stores and other retail outlets that don't meet today's performance specifications? In fact, some don't meet any recognized specifications, or only meet specifications for cars built back in the 1920s.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im looking to do a complete tuneup with all oil changes tomorrow. No one ever gave you a "final ok." I have a 2000 xplorer 400 4x4 and just wanted to make sure I could use the same oils as stated by the original poster. To me, oil is oil but some on here say you have to use the hub specific demand drive oil and the agl oil for the transmission which both are out of the way for me to get being in rural georgia and a lot more expensive. Can i just go with the castrol edge 5w-50 in the tranny and hubs? Also I believe i need special oil for the engine, because I have a counter balance engine? PLease someone with more technical knowledge correct me if im wrong and if its ok to go with the 5w-50Thanks Steve

·
Registered
294 Posts
I personally stick with the oil that has the polaris name on it and put in what the manual recommends, I feel you can't go wrong that way. You don't have to have a dealer close to your house. Obviously, all of you posting have a computer, well, buy it online like I do and have it on your doorstep in no time. It's that easy and not that expensive.

1- qt. Demand Drive Plus Fluid
1- qt. Premium synthetic AGL Plus Gear Lube
2- qt. PS-4 Plus Synthetic Engine Oil
1- OEM Oil Filter

All from Rocky Mountain ATV for $60.95 to my doorstep.

BTW sorry I can't give you the "okay", but instead my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I don't think there is a final word. Anytime you use an aftermarket fluid you are taking a chance. Even with something as simple as engine oil, your risking the quality oil, the quality control of the company, etc. I'm not saying OEM oil is the best qaulity, but if that oil fails, it's easy to pin it back on Polaris for fault.

The question is, how much risk are you willing to take? I've seen people run all kinds of fluids. The final answer if OEM fluids. Not the answer you were looking for, I know.

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
I personally stick with the oil that has the polaris name on it and put in what the manual recommends, I feel you can't go wrong that way. You don't have to have a dealer close to your house. Obviously, all of you posting have a computer, well, buy it online like I do and have it on your doorstep in no time. It's that easy and not that expensive.

1- qt. Demand Drive Plus Fluid
1- qt. Premium synthetic AGL Plus Gear Lube
2- qt. PS-4 Plus Synthetic Engine Oil
1- OEM Oil Filter

All from Rocky Mountain ATV for $60.95 to my doorstep.

BTW sorry I can't give you the "okay", but instead my 2 cents.
Pathfinder, you are 100% correct. Don't know why it is so hard for so many people to understand. Quick, easy and no question if this or that fluid will work.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have found the Polaris fluids to be reasonably priced, and always in stock at my dealer. Again, if you are not close to a dealer this may be an issue, but you could also stock up on a special trip to the dealer. There is always arguments on how specialty oils are so much better in extreme or specialized conditions, and I won't dispute that. But what I will add is the vast majority of riders don't require such protection. Most often the extra expense is for naught. Also, you have to take into consideration that some of the things that these oils can protect you from, most engines can't handle anyway. Remember, oil is a lubricant and in no way a guarantee that it will make it invincible from driving full throttle, upside down in a creek towing a small barge. Your engine has limits that no oil in the world can make it surpass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts