Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has been asked before but i cant find the answer in the forum search. i know drain oil tank, remove the oil filter, and drain motor. i got all that. oh yeah and check the screen on the line to motor. but my ? is after i put it all back together do i have to prime the oil pump? how?(explain) i was told by a guy that with the oil tank you fill it crank and run for 5 minutes the check oil and add accordingly. all the other atv's ive owned, you drain the crank case, and refill the crank case. this is new to me so a little help is in order. i forgot to mention my atv is sportsman 500 ho 2012

thanks in advance,
bubba

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Most will say leave the screen alone. Unnecessary

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You only need to prime the pump if you remove the filter screen. If all you do is drain the tank and the crank you do not need to prime the pump.

To prime it: locate hose at TOP OF TANK that runs to the airbox. It has a slit in it about 2 inches after it exits the tank. Place a shop towel around it, then apply vise grips prior to where the slit is. If you clamp on or after the slit it will not work. Start the engine, let run 15 seconds then remove the vise grips with the engine running. Note that if you clamp either the oil line to or from the engine you will cause damage.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You only need to prime the pump if you remove the filter screen. If all you do is drain the tank and the crank you do not need to prime the pump.

To prime it: locate hose at TOP OF TANK that runs to the airbox. It has a slit in it about 2 inches after it exits the tank. Place a shop towel around it, then apply vise grips prior to where the slit is. If you clamp on or after the slit it will not work. Start the engine, let run 15 seconds then remove the vise grips with the engine running. Note that if you clamp either the oil line to or from the engine you will cause damage.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
Thanks for the help. that was the answer i was looking for.... this is break in oil change. i dont ride mud or bog my machine so i may never have to check that screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts