Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just changed the oil and filter for the first time on my 2013 Sportsman 500 HO. Drained the reservoir and changed the filter. I added about one and 3/4 quarts of oil and I am high on the dip stick. Do I need to remove some oil or will the engine only hold so much oil?

thanks,

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
YOu need to drain the crankcase as well as the oil tank.

Once both are empty it should hold 2 litres.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Drian oil from tank and crank case, replace filter & drain plugs...... add 2 quarts, start / prime oil pump, idle machine for a bit and shut off and check.... Done!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Drian oil from tank and crank case, replace filter & drain plugs...... add 2 quarts, start / prime oil pump, idle machine for a bit and shut off and check.... Done!!
Should not need to prime if he doesn't clean the screen though. I did the screen on my first oil change, it was clean as a whistle. Did not bother with it on any future oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
You can just drain the oil tank and change the filter and refill to the full mark. Draining the crank case isn't necessary. Doesn't hurt anything to drain it, but it really doesn't make any difference if you don't. It doesn't hold enough oil to contaminate the new oil you are putting in. Are you reading high on the dip stick when it is hot or cold? If you are good when the engine and oil is cold, then it will read slightly high when everything is hot. That is normal and not a problem.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The crank case holds almost a half quart, that's about 25% of the oil capacity. I'd change that too, it will contaminate the rest of your oil quickly.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Really not necessary, but feel free if you feel the need.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I disagree. The first time I changed oil in my 500 I didn't drain the oil from the bottom. As soon as the new, clear oil was put into the engine it turned light brown right away.

The next time I changed the oil I drained the oil from the bottom, which isn't that hard, and after putting the oil in it was still nice and clear.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I disagree. The first time I changed oil in my 500 I didn't drain the oil from the bottom. As soon as the new, clear oil was put into the engine it turned light brown right away.

The next time I changed the oil I drained the oil from the bottom, which isn't that hard, and after putting the oil in it was still nice and clear.
How much time/miles between changes? I just do the reservoir.

Sean

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
To each their own..... and what ever helps you sleep better at night.

I personally "sleep like a baby" after draining both tank and engine on the wife's 400!! :D

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
I change oil every 50 hours in both of my atv's. I have never pulled the plug or cleaned the screen on the 500, and never plan to.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Last Word.....

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I pull the drain plug. Not all that difficult, since I also pull the right running board, and grease front shaft while I am at it.

Do mine at 50 hours also.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
11,613 Posts
I pull the drain plug. Not all that difficult, since I also pull the right running board, and grease front shaft while I am at it.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
William, you don't need to pull the running board to grease the shaft. If you sit down in the floor and look through the hole where the brake pedal comes out, you can roll the machine till the fitting lines up just above the frame to grease it.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
William, you don't need to pull the running board to grease the shaft. If you sit down in the floor and look through the hole where the brake pedal comes out, you can roll the machine till the fitting lines up just above the frame to grease it.
Thank you for the tip.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts