Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 500 HO touring, i want to change the oil, its not the issue, the issue is the screen on the sump (opposite drain plug) my battery box is in the way. do you really have to disconnect the battery and remove the box just to get this out? is is it really necessary to remove the screen every oil change? and to drain the crank case it looks like the oil will all drain onto the skid plate, piss poor design. Does anyone have the same set up? any ideas thanks

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I pull the right floor board for each oil change. The oil will drip through the hole in the skid that you pass the wrench up through.

I have never taken my screen out. Did you buy it new? Or do you know the history of it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pull the right floor board for each oil change. The oil will drip through the hole in the skid that you pass the wrench up through.

I have never taken my screen out. Did you buy it new? Or do you know the history of it?
No i didnt buy one but i wanted to take it out to examine it, but it looks like the battery and the battery box both needs to be removed

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

No i didnt buy one but i wanted to take it out to examine it, but it looks like the battery and the battery box both needs to be removed
Or unbolt the tank, and try that. It may be tough to get the fitting out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Or unbolt the tank, and try that. It may be tough to get the fitting out. Keep us posted.
did the oil change, pretty straight forward, rained the sump and the crank case, left the screen alone, didnt bother, started it pinched the hose for 20 seconds, got the whoosh sound and all was good. thanks for the quick replys, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
did the oil change, pretty straight forward, rained the sump and the crank case, left the screen alone, didnt bother, started it pinched the hose for 20 seconds, got the whoosh sound and all was good. thanks for the quick replys, i appreciate it.
I did not think you had to pinch the hose unless you disconnected the oil line to clean the screen ?

EDIT: Polaris instructional vid..

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Right, not necessary to 'prime' the system if the bolt/screen on right side of oil tank is removed.

Its also not necessary to remove the oil sump bolt to remove those 8oz or so of oil. Simply drain via the oil tank while leaving the oil filter on, after oil drains, start engine for Only 10 seconds and shut off, now allow remaining oil in tank to drain as normal, replace filter and proceed as normal. :cowboy:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Right, not necessary to 'prime' the system if the bolt/screen on right side of oil tank is removed.

Its also not necessary to remove the oil sump bolt to remove those 8oz or so of oil. Simply drain via the oil tank while leaving the oil filter on, after oil drains, start engine for Only 10 seconds and shut off, now allow remaining oil in tank to drain as normal, replace filter and proceed as normal. :cowboy:
If you do the 10 sec procedure should you purge the line as it may now have air in it ?

·
Registered
426 Posts

I've seen this method described several times, but there is ZERO chance I'm starting the engine with the oil drained. I'd rather just leave those few ounces of old oil in there. That little bit of old oil isn't going to hurt anything at all.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts

If you do the 10 sec procedure should you purge the line as it may now have air in it ?
No purge procedure required. I got this idea from OPT at ATVConnection, he's an old polaris tech. He got it from the polaris field techs. I was scared the first time i tried it. The engine makes No ugly sounds besides the ones it already does. It quick, EZ and simple. Should be the standard way to do it. :cowboy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts